cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey everyone, i am new to this and have a few questions

SOLVED

Hey everyone, i am new to this and have a few questions

I am a part of a team who looks into creating a new e-commerce platform. I was trying to understand if Magento is a good solution for us and I came across some information that confused me. 

1. I guess my first question is if Magento is the right platform for a high inventory website/store (over 5000 items, with the intention of growing)? 

2. I was looking at other websites and was trying to figure out what they use for e-commerce and I came across something called Cart Functionality, now I am not sure if this is a general description or an actual product, and if it is a product, I couldn't really find much about it. 

3. Any suggestions for tools that analyze a website and tell you which e-commerce they use (I've been using built with and similar tech, but it won't always tell me everything Smiley Happy)

Thank you, and looking forward to your answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hey everyone, i am new to this and have a few questions

@nir_shitrit  Magento open source would be the option to start with unless you are looking for all the Enterprise feature. Upgrade to Enterprise is also possible however effort depends on the customization you have made. Keep your Magento clean and updated you will not face any performance issues.

Problem solved? Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

- Tarandeep
Problem solved?Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@nir_shitritMagento can definitely fulfill your e-commerce need unless and until you have something specific which Magento does not have.

Regarding your 3 questions:

#1. Magento can support a lot more than 5000 SKU. Magento does not has limitation on SKU. If you'll have proper infrastructure, code and configuration in place you'll be good.

#2. Cart functionality is normally referred to shopping cart mean you can add product to shopping cart and make a purchase by providing required details.

#3. There must be bunch of such software. I personally use BuiltWith Google Chrome browser extension for the same.

- Tarandeep

Hi Nir,

I think that @Tarandeep Singh's answer is great. 

I'd add that in addition to BuiltWith, I also sometimes use a Chrome Browser Extension called Wappalyzer. BuiltWith goes into more depth, but there may be an occasional case where Wappalyzer can detect something that BuiltWith can't.

These tools are checking for specific markers that help to identify the software that's being used. In some cases, if a site is custom (and not using an off-the-shelf eCommerce platform), or if the frontend of the site is custom, or if the developers have obfuscated certain information, tools like BuiltWith and Wappalyzer may not be able to detect the eCommerce platform. Sometimes, if you review the source code, you can find some hints, but there's no easy way to do that.

Best of luck!

Thank you for your reply

Do you think this can be done with the Magento Community product? at what point do you need the Magento Enterprise product? and can I start with the community and upgrade to enterprise later? What will be the main factor for loading speed? my main fear is the website performance, having some experience with smaller eCommerce websites performance and the possible challenges. 

Thank you 

Nir 

Hi Nir,

The vast majority of Magento sites are on Magento Community (ie. Magento Open Source). There is no quick / easy upgrade from a Community site to an Enterprise (Magento Commerce) store. It's best to build on the version of Magento that you expect to be on for some years to come.

There isn't published pricing data on a Magento Enterprise license, but typically, you'll find the starting price to be somewhere in the $20,000 to $40,000 USD range, per year (annual license). Larger organizations with more eCommerce revenue pay much more.

If you have a good website host, and follow development best-practices, you should be able to achieve great performance on Magento Community. It's what most Magento stores run on, quite successfully.

If you want to learn more about the differences between Magento Open Source and Magento Commerce, check out Episode 5 of The JetRails Podcast: https://jetrails.com/blog/announcing-the-jetrails-podcast-for-the-ecommerce-community/

We're working on additional episodes on this topic, but I think you'll get a lot from this episode.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much @Robert Rand and @Tarandeep Singh 

@nir_shitrit  Magento open source would be the option to start with unless you are looking for all the Enterprise feature. Upgrade to Enterprise is also possible however effort depends on the customization you have made. Keep your Magento clean and updated you will not face any performance issues.

- Tarandeep

Hii,

Magento ranks above all ecommerce platforms, so you have chosen the right platform.

If you are asking about tool then i suggest using BuiltWith Chrome Extension, because it tells you what a website built with.