cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping extension that can add a fixed packaging weight to each order

Shipping extension that can add a fixed packaging weight to each order

Hi,

I am looking for a way to add a fixed packaging weight to each order. For example we ship out products and each order we send out has a fixed packaging weight that needs to be added to each order. 

So if customer A orders 1 product and the weight of the product is 1lb we need to be able to add a fixed packaging weight (say 0.2lbs to each order)

We can't simply increase the weights of the products a little because the weights will still be off if say customer A order 1 products and Customer B orders 3 products in their order. 

Is there an extension that will do this or a way to do this?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Shipping extension that can add a fixed packaging weight to each order

I think you're overthinking it. Weight is generally used to calculate price and that's it. Just add handling fee to your delivery price and you're good to go.

Tanel Raja

No the problem is not the charge to the customer not being enough. The
problem is when we import the orders into our shipping software (
shiprush.com) we have to manually go through each shipment and change the
weight that was imported into the software to match the actual package
weight instead of just being able to click SHIP ALL button. So it just
takes up a lot of time having to go through each one manually.

We have the exact same problem. We are looking for a program that will allow for shipping items together in one box. The problem I have now is that I can't seem to find how Magento allows you to add the tare weight (box and shipping supplies weight) so currently I have the total weight figured into each item. Unfortunately this presents a problem when a customer buys several items. The weight of the box and flyers/invoice slips get added to the order for every item and that is jacking the price up and I know I am loosing customers. When It should only be one box for all the items.

Checkout SKULABS.COM. They seem to have solved our problem

I too am looking for a solution.    Our packaging is 2kg, our item is 0.1kg. We have set product weight as 2.1kg which is fine when the customer orders 1 item, but if they order 5 items we should be charging based on 2.5kg, but instead currently it is 10kg which adds too much and we risk losing customers due to inflated shipping costs.

I don't see how this extension allows you to ship multiple items with only 1 box. That is the problem folks are having. Magento doesn't allow you to enter tare weight, so you have to include the weight of the box into the total item weight of each product. That's what presents the problem, because if a customer buys multiple items. The weight of the box (tare weight) gets added in multiple times. So for example if a customer buys 4 hats the weight of the box should be added in only 1 time. But because you have to add the box into the weight of each item it gets added 4 times. This is a shortfall of Magento.