cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento 19.2.2 Installation Problem

Re: Magento 19.2.2 Installation Problem

I have figured it out! The problem begins with the index.php file where the Magento root is defined. When the magento root is defined by

define('MAGENTO_ROOT'), getcwd());

Magento is stating that there is a directory called jsragman (or the name of the current directory). So, since, in this case, the directory is also the domain root Magento is also defining it as a directory... hence... the duplicate domain name in the URL.

I commented out defining the Magento root and removed references to it in the remainder of the index.php and was able to get to the installation page.

It may be that defining the Magento root is redundant but I'm no programmer. I'm going to see how the install works as I don't know if the "MAGENTO_ROOT" definition is used elsewhere.

This didn't actually fix anything at least not on it's own... will forward to the downloader (where everything stops). But it did isolate the issue to Magento trying to install from a non-existent file location.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to play with this any longer (although it was fun and I learned quite a bit about server configurations). It doesn't appear that Magento can be installed anywhere but in a directory off webroot (or primary domain in a multi-domain VPS) at this time. I really like it too. Thanks for all the help and I'll check back occasionally to see if there are any updates to the issue.

Mike

Great to hear that you found the cause of the problem. 

It does seem like the way your VPS is configured is not really compatible with the way Magento deal with non-main domain names. 

Most users are able to get this working properly so you may need to consult with your hosting provider on workaround to the problem if you ever want to give it a try again. Smiley Happy

Thank you! There will come a day (soon) when I'll get rid of most, if not all, the subordinate domains and I'll get Magento installed. The way GoDaddy creates the subordinate domains in a VPS environment is, at least partially, with a directory that the Domain name is directed to. This being the case, if the directory where one is installing Magento is the root or a subdirectory of a subordinate domain, the primary domain name will be required to use the primary domain URL to gain web access to the installation and later, the actual store. This is due to the fact that even though it may be a legal domain, it's still a directory and Magento sees it that way.

I haven't yet reverse engineered other software to figure out why they install without issues... though I'm pretty sure it's based on the relative position where the installation files are located and not specific directory driven. If I create a subdirectory off the subordinate domain and put all the application files there, then that is where the store will be located (i.e. if I put the files in a sub-dir called /shop off the domain directory then I go to the url www.domain.com/shop/install... the store will then be located at www.domain.com/shop).

There's a way of installing Magento (I think) using my current GoDaddy plan, but I really don't want to go through what I'd have to do to make it work. The way I've set up each subdomain is when I have the domain and add it to my hosting plan, I create a directory to where the domain files will reside. Essentially I've named each directory the same as the domain. Do you think if I directed the new domain to the webroot (primary domain - by not defining a directory) and installed the files in actual directory off the webroot the installation would work? I could set up redirection so that going to a subdirectory in the URL would be transparent to the user/customer (so it would be www.domain.com/ .vs www.domain.com/subdir.