cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install, cant add categories

SOLVED

New install, cant add categories

Hi,

I have installed 1.9.1.0 and added my first test product however when I browse to categories I get a blank page and cant add anything. can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: New install, cant add categories

Hi @BenCUK 

Looks like your server is throwing some kind of error based on your screenshot. 

It might be something in the installer failed and didn't create the base root category (or whatever its called). 

If you have a totaly default install with no sample data, you can use this Query to insert it. Otherwise you might need to change the entity type ID

insert into `catalog_category_entity` ( `entity_id`, `attribute_set_id`, `level`, `children_count`, `position`, `parent_id`, `entity_type_id`) values ( '1', '0', '0', '0', '0', '0', '3')

Let me know if this helps :-)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

What does your Magento, webserver and/or PHP log say?

Hi,

Sorry I am new to Magento can you be a bit more specific please?

Thanks

ben

I have no root category set and when I drop the box down it doesnt give me an option.

Will that have an effect?

Hi @BenCUK 

Looks like your server is throwing some kind of error based on your screenshot. 

It might be something in the installer failed and didn't create the base root category (or whatever its called). 

If you have a totaly default install with no sample data, you can use this Query to insert it. Otherwise you might need to change the entity type ID

insert into `catalog_category_entity` ( `entity_id`, `attribute_set_id`, `level`, `children_count`, `position`, `parent_id`, `entity_type_id`) values ( '1', '0', '0', '0', '0', '0', '3')

Let me know if this helps :-)

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion and sorry for the simple question Im still working my way around Magento and building websites. Where would I input that?

Thanks

Hi @BenCUK 

This might be slightly advanced. When you installed Magento you had to pick a database to install it into, if you bought a Webhotel / VPS / Something you might have gotten a MySQL database setup for you automtically. 

This sometimes also comes with access through something called PhpMyAdmin. From here you can select the database you selected to install Magento into, and then at the top there should be a tab called SQL, here there is a big Text Field where you can paste the code i wrote. And then a run tab, if everything goes well it will show a success message. 

I hope this helps :-)

Hi,

I have got to phpmyadmin and found what appears to be a similar table but mine is labelled 'mage_catalog_category_entity'

Does that mean your suggestion will need to be edited to suit the prefix?

Thanks

Ye @BenCUK  the code would be:

insert into `mage_catalog_category_entity` ( `entity_id`, `attribute_set_id`, `level`, `children_count`, `position`, `parent_id`, `entity_type_id`) values ( '1', '0', '0', '0', '0', '0', '3')

All working now that fixed it, thanks for your help Smiley Happy