cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento 2 404 Error Admin Post Installation

Magento 2 404 Error Admin Post Installation

Hi there, I just manually installed Magento2 CE on Ubuntu server 18.04 with LAMP via composer, the install went ok and all checks were on green however the link given after installation to access the magento admin page is giving error 404.

To resolve this a few people say it should work by changing from the config:

sudo nano /etc/apache2/apache2.conf

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks AllowOverride None Require all granted

To

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks AllowOverride All Require all granted

But is still not working, another tutorials also say to change the file pub/.htaccess to magento root folder which im guessing it would be located default on: /var/www/html/magento However I'm new to Ubuntu commands and I'm unable to find any suggestions of hwo to do this, would it work with this?

sudo mv /var/www/html/magento/pub/.htaccess /var/www/html/magento

If, I tried it and is not working, any suggestions?? or anyone here who have fixed this issue before??.

I need to mention that when completing the install through composer it was installed on /var/www/html/magento-community-edition/ folder and I moved it up and took out the file "magento-community edition and as a result all the installlation files went to /var/www/html/ so I don't know if that made up the error, how do I fix it? Thank you for your assistance.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Magento 2 404 Error Admin Post Installation

Hi @brayan_monterroso,

Is the mod_rewrite enabled on your server?

Yes, they are, I tried many different solutions online but is not working.

I solved this issue by adding.htaccess file on the root of the Magento folder on my CentOS Linux web hosting account. This fix apache mod rewrite issue.

I have created a demo video on below YouTube link about Magento installation on Linux web hosting account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixMTChLdHJQ

- Best Regards,Shahab

-Thanks & Best Regards, Zohaib

The error occurs because mod_rewrite was not enabled on your web server

Try to replace a proper htaccess file and enable rewrite on your website to fix this error:

<< Snipped >>

Hope this helps!