cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento: The worst software installation i have seen till now

Re: Magento: The worst software installation i have seen till now

You have a fair point...

The process to install / update does seem to be getting worse everytime.

I miss the days of the precheck list of PHP and MySQL etc.

Would it be do difficult to make one that would tell you straight up before you start rather than getting 2/3rds the way in and it failing due to a missing function or dependancy.

Right now the command line install tells you it has worked but the site it self has other ideas...

Has this been resolved? I am experiencing the same. Magento seems like the worst installation software. I can't get it work in my local server in windows.

@bruno_carvalho2 my friend, I'm with you on this one... what a HORRIBLE downloading and installing experience.

I never used Magento 1.x but surely it was better than what it is today. Adobe really screwed it up and unfortunately the CE edition is almost useless. Documentation is too shallow and not helpful at all.

After a couple of days trying to set it up on a Mac then on an Ubuntu, I decided to try an install via Installatron on my hosting provider and finally got it running.

But... importing sample data into a hosted instance where you don't have SSH access (let alone sudo) it's basically impossible.

Anyways, long story short, I gave up. 

I have just downloaded Shopware 6 CE, unzipped, went to localhost/shopware and... guess what: a web installation wizard that actually works!

So that's it for me. Not sure what happened after Magento 2.0 launched, if the dev team changed, or if Adobe decided "let's make the CE version impossible to use so that they have to pay us to set it up". Wither way, so far so good with Shopware and will not look back.

Hi @wagnerwagnb0e6,

Could you share how you tried to install Magento Open Source (formerly CE) on Mac and Ubuntu?

Are you using Docker or something like Mamp?

If you meet the system requirements, the installation should be done by following these steps:

composer create-project --repository=https://repo.magento.com/ magento/project-community-edition

Then install Magento:

bin/magento setup:install --admin-firstname=John --admin-lastname=Doe --admin-email=john.doe@example.com --admin-user=your_username --admin-password=secreat_password --base-url=http://magento2.localhost/ --backend-frontname=admin --db-host=database_hostname --db-name=database_name --db-user=database_user --db-password=database_password --language=en_US --currency=USD --use-rewrites=1

That should work. Maybe you want to set the cronjobs too running this command:

bin/magento cron:install

As I said, that should work for a fresh install.

Doesn't work on a clean install of Big Sur. Easy enough to fix if you know how, but certainly far from simple. Installing Drupal 8 and 9 using DDEV is much easier than this.

Your requirements could not be resolved to an installable set of packages.

Problem 1
    - Root composer.json requires magento/product-community-edition 2.4.2-p1 -> satisfiable by magento/product-community-edition[2.4.2-p1].
    - magento/product-community-edition 2.4.2-p1 requires ext-intl * -> it is missing from your system. Install or enable PHP's intl extension.
  Problem 2
    - magento/magento2-functional-testing-framework[3.0.0, ..., 3.5.1] require ext-intl * -> it is missing from your system. Install or enable PHP's intl extension.
    - Root composer.json requires magento/magento2-functional-testing-framework ^3.0 -> satisfiable by magento/magento2-functional-testing-framework[3.0.0, ..., 3.5.1].

Hi @danepiphyt7077,

The problem you are showing there is not OS related. In that case you didn't have all the required PHP extensions.

Here you can find all the PHP extensions needed: https://devdocs.magento.com/guides/v2.4/install-gde/prereq/php-settings.html

Hi

Yeah agreed

I fell in love with Magento when I used M1 and this is probably the only reason why I am going with M2

Since migrating some data from M1 in Jan 2021, I have been stuck on developing only the home page till now (Aug 2021).

Almost every feature to be configured is a struggle.

This platform is not for "plug and play" type of people. It is probably suitable for such people who came from Unix. There is too much coding involved, not to mention the whole suite of CLI commands which you do not find on most eCommerce platforms. Online help is not adequate. A lot of questions are answered halfway or left unanswered completely. Sometimes the answers are generic things that a user would have tried already

Magento needs to pull up their socks against rising competition

The worst software installation..... I'm a newbie trying to install Magento in my ubuntu. have the same experience. It takes 4days to install one by one solving the errors. I explore too many tutorials and communities. After the installation still the site is not running.

I agreed, magento is very hard to setup.

I had been working as a web developer for a long time, but gave up as a developer and started an e-commerce owner selling things a long time ago.

I've been using it since Magento 1.x in 2009. Despite taking 12 years to adapt to Magento 1.x, we are still preparing to open our store.

I tried to open an online store, but in the past 12 years, a lot of things have changed in the mobile ecosystem. As a result, Magento 1.x has become too outdated, and support has been discontinued.

I am now trying to ditch Magento 1.x and start over with the latest version of Magento 2.4.6. I recently spent 2 weeks trying to install Magento 2.4.6 and eventually got it installed, but after this it's more of a problem.

I'm not quite sure if I'll ever be able to run this store.

I think it would be possible to operate it by having my own development team or paying monthly technical support costs to an external maintenance company.

The installation is now automated, so I'm used to it, but the extensions don't install properly.

Therefore, I am not confident in running the site in the future. Any small change will always result in an error. Who uses this garbage?

I invested 13 years in Magento, but I got nothing. I really miss my life.