cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento 2 stable

SOLVED

Magento 2 stable

Hello,

we are working with an offshore partner for a Magento project.

we started 1 month ago with Magento 2 but our partner wants to go back to Magento 1.9 as according to our partner Magento 2 is still not stable enough and they are experiencing many bugs/issues.

can someone confirm this is possible?

or should i challenge the offshore partner more?

thanks for you feedback on this.

best regads

Stanislas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Magento 2 stable

Have not heard anything more, so going to mark as accepted to help me track unanswered issues. 

Oh, and Magento 2.1 is out now as well - lots more bug fixes and improvements have gone into the new release.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

I am working on Magento 2 extensions full time during the last 7 months, and I consider Magento 2 as really stable.

On the other hand, developing a store on Magento 2 is more (may be twice as) costly now than on Magento 1.x because:

1) The developers should be re-educated.

2) There are not enough extensions for Magento 2.

M2 is newer and teams do have learn the new technology, so it may be slower for them on the first project - more problems they are hitting may be because they don't know all the new rules.

Is it stable? We have *lots* of *production* sites already live with no production issues I am hearing of (not beyond normal for M1). I don't have precise measurements here myself, but if you look at GitHub where the community can submit issues, sure there are some things to improve, and we are being more open in the M2 world than M1, but I don't see a flood there. It is more people learning the new practices and reporting the occasional issue. Don't confuse being more public about things in M2 with higher bug rates however.  If you do hear of larger numbers of issues, I would love to hear about them. Then we can address them.

Are they hitting lots of bugs? I cannot say without knowing more specifics. (I am not going to sit here and say "we have no bugs".) I would be asking questions more like have they gone on M2 training. If not, I would suggest finding a team if you can that has done such training. That would definitely help reduce the risk of an untrained team doing the project. 

Do I recommend M1 over M2? My default answer is go with M2. Why? If you go with a M1 project then you are committing yourself to a larger migration project later. M2 is simplifying upgrade processes, reducing extension conflicts, yada yada. There is lots of cool stuff coming, all with M2 only. If there is a missing extension, let us know - we have been proactively getting the extension coverage up to make sure all gaps are addressed. We don't control the extension developers, but we can certainly tell them "10 customers have requested your extension on M2".It helps them as well.

There are times I would recommend M1 over M2, but that is more around if your project is already well underway in planning and estimation etc. It can be hard to go back and restart. If this is a new project, my initial reaction is find a partner trained (or at least active) on M2. However there is no doubt M1 works - it is not "wrong" to still do a M1 project as long as you realize the implications. But if you are asking "is M2 so buggy you could not possibly deliver a real project", then I am not hearing that. More "I am still learning it".

Hopefully this was useful in your contemplations!

My only clarification on "M2 projects may be more costly" is around whether the partner effectively charges you for learning the changes. There might be missing extensions, but the count is rising quickly - each day it is less of an issue.

Is the cost of a M2 project going to stay higher? I honestly believe "no", and that it will become cheaper than M1 (and not just because I work here). But the first project for any team is going to cost them more, especially if they have not done training. I honestly believe M2 is going to deliver more quality sites with fewer defects, easier upgrade of patches, etc. M2 ships with test automation for example, never available with M1. Project teams can make use of these tools to improve their project quality as well. An extension developers can do the same. So the ongoing costs of projects in M2 should be a lot better too.

Is M2 more advanced than M1. I should hope so! We are adopting lots of industry standard approaches because they are known to improve things (rate of delivery, quality of delivery, etc). If I accepted arguments like "learning new technologies is not cost effective" then we would all still be doing assembly language programming! ;-)  Good solution partners factor in the cost of keeping their staff up to date as a part of their business. M2 is a bigger jump to fix lots of problems that have gone unaddressed in M1 for too long. (That is very much a personal opinion! ;-)

Have not heard anything more, so going to mark as accepted to help me track unanswered issues. 

Oh, and Magento 2.1 is out now as well - lots more bug fixes and improvements have gone into the new release.

the answer is simple, is not stable enough for medium or large business, so you shouldnt even consider selling enterprise because in my opinion, it will crash somehow, somewhere in sometime

I've been work with Magento 2 for arround 10 months now. Our first Magento 2 site went live in this April.

Yes there were some issues when we first start building our first site. It took us about 3 months to build Timeslot Booking system, Payment Gateways and etc. We found few bugs on the way and contribute to Magento with bugs and feedbacks.

But Developers need to educate, or No extentions are no excuse not to move Magento 2 when you build New Magento site (Need to consider the cost too when pickup). 

Don Udugala

2.1.0 might be production ready for small shops and/or the US market, but as soon as you have thousands of products and multiple languages and storeviews to support, you will run into very nasty bugs. and then there are the performance issues that come with mid/large-sized shops.

we're currently in the process of migrating a CE shop with around 20k products in 2 languages from 1.9 to 2.1 and it has been very very painful so far. our next EE shop customer will have 70k products in 2 languages and 4 store views. we won't be migrating them anytime soon as we do not think that the current code base is even close to stable.

Magento 2 isn’t immune, and over the course of beta testing in 2015 there were plenty of well-documented issues regarding the PHP base, extension conflicts, performance code quality, etc., with some critics finding the upgrades underwhelming – going as far as to say that “Magento 2 is nothing more than a rewrite with JQUERY.” Of course, this is an oversimplification, and there was a reason why Magento 2 stayed in various stages of beta testing for nearly a year. But now that the merchant version is available to the public, we can now take Magento 2 for a spin without the training wheels. But the question remains: Is Magento 2 stable?

The short answer, yes. As we have covered in previous posts, Magento 2’s full version is stable enough to support full migrations and open-source development. So why all the concern? One of the major barometers for stability for ecommerce platforms is the availability of verified applications – or in Magento’s case, extensions. Currently, there aren’t too many verified extensions available for Magento 2, but that’s not because of problems with stability or compatibility.