cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL privileges during installation (etc?)

SOLVED

SQL privileges during installation (etc?)

Thanks for the hard work!

I hope I'm not breaking the rules as this does relate to a question asked in the technical 2.0 area but this is less technical and more curiosity so hopefully different enough.

I am curious as to why 2.0 requires additional sql privileges that were not required during the 1.9.x install and, seemingly, during its operation.

Because of that I am unlikely to be able to continue with Magento and despite being all but done with my 1.9.2 site and liking the package very much. Smiley Sad

As I stated in the original question posed to try to overcome this limitation, it would seem that many might be effected by the change and especially with shared hosting.  My shared hosting isn't expensive but it's not the bottom of the barrel either and one of the larger hosts I believe.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: SQL privileges during installation (etc?)

I had not heard we require more privileges (but maybe that is correct). We do use MySQL 5.6 features where some hosting providers still only support MySQL 5.5. Some of those features may have also required more rights. I noticed there was a longer thread on this one - I would trust that thread more than what I know personally. (This area is targeted more at trends and strategic directions than specific technical questions.)

Re MySQL 5.6, I think it has been out for a few years now, so its not like "new" any more. We wanted to use newer features for the newer platform.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I had not heard we require more privileges (but maybe that is correct). We do use MySQL 5.6 features where some hosting providers still only support MySQL 5.5. Some of those features may have also required more rights. I noticed there was a longer thread on this one - I would trust that thread more than what I know personally. (This area is targeted more at trends and strategic directions than specific technical questions.)

Re MySQL 5.6, I think it has been out for a few years now, so its not like "new" any more. We wanted to use newer features for the newer platform.

Thanks for the reply and I realized I would not receive any technical advice.  More to find out if it is true or to let staff know.

I was using 5.6 but user privileges don't change with the version at least in my case.  Tried it with 5.5 as well with same results and I can see the privileges I can't use in the install script itself so it wouldn't matter the version.

Thanks anyway, I guess I am regrettably out.  It's a shame and I've lost a lot of time because of it.  Starting a new package today from scratch.

Love the package, just don't have the tools I guess and perhaps it's not an issue for the bulk of the existing 1.x.x users.

Thanks again for your time.