cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start with Magento

SOLVED

Start with Magento

Hi,

I have an online store and want to move to Magento by the end of this year.

In your opinion I should start with Magento 1.9 or already start with the new Magento 2 ?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Start with Magento

I would start with Magento 1.9 for now. THere are many more extensions available for 1.9 which will give you more flexibility for customizations. 

Magento Moderator since 2009
Keep Calm and Clear Cache!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I would start with Magento 1.9 for now. THere are many more extensions available for 1.9 which will give you more flexibility for customizations. 

Magento Moderator since 2009
Keep Calm and Clear Cache!

To me it boils down to a choice between do you want to minimize short term risk with possible greater long term expense (e.g. to move from M1 to M2 later), or do you want to avoid the upgrade cost.

M1 is going to be around for years - it's not going away. But the majority of core development effort is going into M2.  There will be extensions at/near launch, but there are certainly more available for M1. Also, M2 is not launched yet! It is coming very soon, but if you want your store up by end of this year that is cutting it pretty fine if you want any extensions etc.

So it is not silly going with M1 if you want to reduce risk and need the site up fast; go with M2 if you are more concerned about being on the new platform to avoid upgrade costs later.