cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total Noob Question: How to reverse default product sort order?

Total Noob Question: How to reverse default product sort order?

This is probably going to make more than a few people roll their eyes and/or chuckle, but this question is being posed by someone that has to re-google the HTML tags for bold and underline virtually every time. But we are in between development firms so I really have nowhere else to turn:

So one of our custom product attributes is discount, and we also have it set as the default sort by category. However, it is currently sorting from lowest to highest, whereas we want it to do the opposite. (i.e. higher discount = more attractive to the customer)

My loose understanding is that I need to locate the toolbar.php file and change "protected $_direction = ‘asc’;" to "protected $_direction = ‘desc’;"

But here's the funny (sad) part: I literally have zero idea where to even find that file or what program/portal I need to even start looking for it. Besides logging into our admin panel and poking around with a few things on there, I really have no idea and I would sincerely appreciate if someone could give me a nudge in the right direction.

Thank you so much in advance