cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed up category changes

Speed up category changes

Hey everyone!

Is it possible to somehow force changes that have been made in a category to show up faster on the site?

I added several products and also modified the position slightly. Would like to see these changes "right away".

Usually this takes about a day or half a day.

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Speed up category changes

Hi @tamara_plancke,

Are you using any CDN? if you have anything, disable it and check your changes either you can able to see it or not.

If my solution is useful, give kudos and accept as solutions

Best regards

Madhuresan
Bootsgrid

Have you tried both reindexing and flushing your cache? Depending on the changes that you're looking to see faster, it should come down to one of these. If it's not, then perhaps you're using an external caching tool that needs to be flushed, like a CDN.

Best of luck!

CDN is being used indeed. What are the risks of disabling this? Can it just be disabled for a couple of minutes and see what happens after?

I added products to the category and changed the positions.

If it's not your Magento Indexing or Caching, and you're not using an extension or system (like Varnish for caching), that similarly needs to be flushed, it could certainly be your CDN. CDN's like Cloudflare cache components of your site on servers across the globe. In order to do that, they typically store local copies of files, like images on their server network. You should, ideally, be able to flush cache without turning off the CDN completely.

The impact of disabling a CDN mostly has to do with the benefits that you were deriving, and exactly what you're turning off. If you're just turning off caching, the impact will have to do with loading speeds, which may be slower. Your CDN is also taking some of the work off of your main hosting server(s), so you won't have that benefit/protection temporarily.

Your host can probably help you test your CDN, so that you don't have to go it alone.

While I don't want to rule anything out for you, I'd first look at Magento's indexing and caching, and any additional caching, like Varnish. Your web host and/or developer (whoever is patching and maintaining your site for you) should be able to provide more info on what's running in your Magento instance that could be storing this info. They may also have ways of adjusting so that certain things are updated when you save them, if that's something that they believe would work better for you. That depends on the size of your catalog, and other factors.

@tamara_plancke wrote:

CDN is being used indeed. What are the risks of disabling this? Can it just be disabled for a couple of minutes and see what happens after?

There's no risk to disable the CDN. You may experience slight slowdown if that is the main purpose of your CDN. 

You can disable the CDN for a few minutes to see if it makes any difference and then re-enable it after that. 

Very insightful, thanks for taking the time to reply. The only thing I've done this far is rebuilding the visual merchandiser categories, just to see what the button would do. It seemed fairly harmless. Sadly that didn't contribute to anything. In the cahche managing tab there's a button that allows you to empty the cache. When I press this button what exactly happens? The documentation reads "Removes all items in the default Magento cache (var/cache), according to their associated Magento tags." It won't mess up anything else, will it?

Usually, if you've "invalidated" any of your cached files (ie. if you've made changes to your site that won't yet reflect in the cached files that are being displayed to your shoppers), Magento will notate that. You can read more about this at: https://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/system/cache-management.html

Clearing the cache can tie up resources, as this user guide suggests. However, I've rarely found this to be a problem. It depends on your site, and your hosting, but flushing cached files is a pretty routine operation for most sites.

I think you'll find most of the info you're looking for about clearing your Magento cache in the article, but feel free to post additional questions.