cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing the Menu layout

SOLVED

Editing the Menu layout

Hello, I have a problem regarding the structure of the customer menu.

As you can see in the screenshot, when I enter the 'Account Dashboard' the menu is on the right side: Account Dashboard.

This is exactly the layout I want. The problem is hower that whenever I click on any other in the menu, the menu moves to the left side, as can be seen here: Customer Menu.

Can somebody help me and tell me how to change / edit the layout of those pages so the menu always stays on the right side?

Regards!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Editing the Menu layout

@rrhen The possibility of menu blocks displaying two times can be: 

If local.xml is there it would be placed in your custome Theme at the below path: app/design/frontend/your_package/your_theme/template/layout/local.xml 

Menu's code is called twice in both files local.xml and customer.xml.  So you can remove code from any one of the file.

Query solved? Accept as Solution.Thanks
Eric Baily

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Goto magento root directory app\design\frontend\my_pakage\my_theme\layout\customer.xml

Edit and perform changes as per the below steps.

Step 1:  Find <customer_account translate="label">  in customerxml file and  the below code 

<reference name="root">
                <action method="setTemplate"><template>page/2columns-left.phtml</template></action>
                <action method="addBodyClass"><class>customer-account</class></action>
</reference>

Replace the above by below code:

<reference name="root">
                <action method="setTemplate"><template>page/2columns-right.phtml</template></action>
                <action method="addBodyClass"><class>customer-account</class></action>
</reference>

Step 2:  Find <reference name="left_first">  and replace the changes as shown below.

<reference name="left_first"> To <reference name="right">

Step 3: Find <customer_account_index translate="label"> and replace the changes as shown below.

<reference name="root">
        <action method="setTemplate"><template>page/2columns-left.phtml</template></action>
</reference>

Replace the above code with below provided code:
<reference name="root"> <action method="setTemplate"><template>page/2columns-right.phtml</template></action> </reference>

Hope this helps.

Eric Baily

Hey there,

thanks for the help, this worked pretty well. Now I have a different problem though, which is very strange.

The menu is on the right side and stays there, but there are now two menu blocks below each other. I checked with firebug and for some reason two 'block-account' blocks are created.

I had the same problem before with the cart, which was also shown two times at one point, which I presume is because I am using a custome theme. I was able to 'solve' this by changing the sidebar of the cart to the right sidebar, which I don't use, but that is a rather bad way of doing things as I know.

I presume the problem comes from the xml file where the sidebar is created.

Here is a screenshot how the sidebar looks now with both customer menus and with both carts:

http://i.imgur.com/sSF8owE.jpg

Any other blocks that would be on the right sidebar are deaktivated.

@rrhen The possibility of menu blocks displaying two times can be: 

If local.xml is there it would be placed in your custome Theme at the below path: app/design/frontend/your_package/your_theme/template/layout/local.xml 

Menu's code is called twice in both files local.xml and customer.xml.  So you can remove code from any one of the file.

Eric Baily

Thank you very much, everything is working now! Smiley Happy

Pleasure! @rrehn 

Thanks for appreciating the efforts we put in to resolve the issues. Feel free to contact us anytime, would be always ready to help! Smiley Happy

Eric Baily