cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blank screen after admin login: Magento 1.9, Ubuntu 14.04 PHP 5.5.9

Blank screen after admin login: Magento 1.9, Ubuntu 14.04 PHP 5.5.9

Not sure of the exact Magento version because ... the screen is blank. If anyone knows a way to find it from the command line I'd be grateful. There is a file in the root called PATCH_SUPEE-7405_CE_1.9.2.2_v1-2016-01-20-04-35-33.sh which I think has been run.

This site has been running for 2 years and the front end still looks OK. It broke when the Ubuntu 14 server it was hosted on was update to 16 and that moved PHP 5 to PHP 7, the new PHP seemed to cause many issues. A new VM was commissioned running the Ubuntu version this site was on before the update and this site restored to it. This is the situation I'm now in. The back end on this new site has never let me past the admin page - it always shows the blank screen.

Tried:

- Deleting /var/cache/*

- Deleting /var/session/*

- Looking at /var/log/system.log just repeats the line

"Not valid template file:frontend/base/default/template/facebooklb/like.phtml"

Thanks

-- Bill

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Blank screen after admin login: Magento 1.9, Ubuntu 14.04 PHP 5.5.9

Hi @bdamage,

You can check the Magento version from the command line by running:

php -r "require 'app/Mage.php'; echo Mage::getVersion(); "

In addition to do that, it seems that you don't have display_errors enabled and developer mode in Magento and that is why you see the blank page instead of the error in the browser.

In order to turn on error reporting you should: 

a) Open index.php and un-comment the following line

Display Errors
#ini_set('display_errors', 1);

b) Open .htaccess and add the following line at the end:

Developer Mode
SetEnv MAGE_IS_DEVELOPER_MODE "true"

Best regards.
Gabriel

Welcome to the Magento Forums. Remember to introduce yourself and read the Magento Forums Guidelines.

Re: Blank screen after admin login: Magento 1.9, Ubuntu 14.04 PHP 5.5.9

Hi & sincere thanks for your help.

The version is 1.9.2.2.

I made the changes you suggested, removed all the files in /var/cache and /var/session and even restarted apache but it made no difference.

-- Bill