cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Issues

SOLVED

Constant Issues

Hello - 

I will start by saying I have no real idea of how Magento works, so please go easy on me! :-)

We currently use Magento 1 as our platform for our small online retail store and have been doing so for a couple of years now.

I'm not sure of the who/what's/when's of how it was installed. All I do know is that we have constant issues with the system leading to it breaking on a weekly basis. Whether it's a plug-in that has been installed or an update that has happened.

I do know that the guy who chose Magento as the platform to use (business owner), manages it by himself and doesn't really know how to use it. He's not an expert or a techy person.

My personal thoughts on why we have constant issues are because of something he may have done during the setup years ago (if he installed it) or could just be an accumulation of mistakes he's made over the years. Or maybe not, I don't know.

All I am convinced of is that it shouldn't be breaking so often. Please tell me I'm right?

So, I turn to you folk in the hope that someone can tell me of the next steps I should take in fixing the issue/s once and for all. Then to get a Magento person on board and have him never touch it again! lol

In my head, I'm thinking our system needs a full diagnostic to see what the problem/s are and to make sure everything is set-up correctly. Are there people out there that would do this type of work or am I asking the completely wrong question?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated! Apologies if I have rambled or I've not made much sense! Please free feel to ask me any questions!

Thank you,

Carla

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Constant Issues

Magento does take upkeep and maintenance by a knowledgeable developer to keep it in a good state.  From what you say, it sounds like there's been a build-up of technical debt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_debt) which might be hard to "clean up" because there'll be lots of small mistakes in various places. 

In terms of hunting for a new developer, I can recommend https://commercehero.io/. 

You could look to request an audit from a senior, high rated developer on there. Even if they're a bit more expensive, you might not want to get them to do your regular dev, it would be worth working with them to do an audit so you can the low down on the current state of the site. You can then use that list when talking to any other developer. 

It would be good when talking to a developer to have a clear list of the open issues with clear descriptions and steps to reproduce where applicable and organise these into a priority order. This can be helpful for new developers coming on board understanding the scope of the project. 

----
If you've found one of my answers useful, please give "Kudos" or "Accept as Solution" as appropriate. Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Magento does take upkeep and maintenance by a knowledgeable developer to keep it in a good state.  From what you say, it sounds like there's been a build-up of technical debt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_debt) which might be hard to "clean up" because there'll be lots of small mistakes in various places. 

In terms of hunting for a new developer, I can recommend https://commercehero.io/. 

You could look to request an audit from a senior, high rated developer on there. Even if they're a bit more expensive, you might not want to get them to do your regular dev, it would be worth working with them to do an audit so you can the low down on the current state of the site. You can then use that list when talking to any other developer. 

It would be good when talking to a developer to have a clear list of the open issues with clear descriptions and steps to reproduce where applicable and organise these into a priority order. This can be helpful for new developers coming on board understanding the scope of the project. 

----
If you've found one of my answers useful, please give "Kudos" or "Accept as Solution" as appropriate. Thanks!

Hello,

Magento is costly to keep alive. And if those costs are not justified there is not point in using Magento. Ask yourself this question - do you need all those features and flexibility Magento is offering? If answer is no then it is probably time to re-platform.

I see many  small online retail store owners switching to Shopify. Talk to Shopify representative. Explore your options.

Thank you very much, Tom, for your response. 

My gut says we'll have a fair bit of 'technical debt'!

Getting a good Magento developer to do a full site audit sounds like a good logical next step! Thank you for the recommendation, I'll be sure to list the job.

Thank you,

Carla

Hi Tom -

Me again!

Just writing the post for this job on Commercehero. I'm being asked for an hourly rate in $ and hours per week. Can you give me a rough idea what this might look like for a Senior Magento Developer to do this project so I can fill it in and post?

Thank you,

Carla