Did you mean: 

Full backup won't run

SOLVED

Full backup won't run

Hi everyone!

I'm new in the magento world...

In the backup section of my 1.8.0 magento, i :

> succeed to make a db backup

> failed several times to have a full or a db&media backup.

I don't know why it's not possible...

In parallel of this, i downloaded all the FTP files. The point is to have a full backup before applying a update in order to have the latest magento version and make several modifications (modules, templates etc)

Thank you for your ideas and precious help!

Miran

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Full backup won't run

Hi @lemiran,

You can do that by connecting to the server through SSH and opening the project directory root.

Once you are there, you can create a .tgz backup by following these instructions:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-do-i-compress-a-whole-linux-or-unix-directory/

Best regards.
Gabriel

Welcome to the Magento Forums. Remember to introduce yourself and read the Magento Forums Guidelines.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hi @lemiran,

I assume you are trying to create a backup from the admin panel.

I don't recommend proceeding with backups from the admin panel since it consumes a lot of resources for the server, leading to your website (and admin panel) to be down while the backup is executed.

I recommend creating a .tgz file containing the codebase from the server, and doing a mysqldump to back up the database.

Best regards.

Gabriel

Welcome to the Magento Forums. Remember to introduce yourself and read the Magento Forums Guidelines.

Hi Gabriel

Thank you for your reply!

Yes i'm trying to backup from the admin panel.

How could i "create a .tgz file containing the codebase from the server"?

A complete mysql dump is enough?

Up to now i had:

- dump the mysql

- transfered the FTP files

I have to be sure at 200% before working on this site (update the magento version, add/remove modules, update the template, add products...)

Regards

Miran

Hello @Gabriel Guarino

I didn't find the solution and your help would be precious.

Thank you very much Smiley Tongue

Regards

Miran

Hi @lemiran,

You can do that by connecting to the server through SSH and opening the project directory root.

Once you are there, you can create a .tgz backup by following these instructions:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-do-i-compress-a-whole-linux-or-unix-directory/

Best regards.
Gabriel

Good morning @Gabriel Guarino

It's very nice to you to answer me so quickly!!

I will test it this morning and will come back here. But thanks to your detailed explanations i should success!!

Regards

Miran

thank you very much @Gabriel Guarino

It worked like a charm! A little bit weird to do it in a ssh in place of my ftp software but it worked.

Why should we prefer the ssh solution to FTP?

Regards

MIran

@lemiran, you're welcome!

SSH is faster and more reliable than FTP. If you compress a directory through SSH, you will know if the backup was successfully made through the command-line. A transfer through FTP could fail and you will lose files in the backup process, which is critical for your store.