cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the down side of skipping email queue

SOLVED

What is the down side of skipping email queue

I use Magento 1.9.X

I currently skipped all email queue operations and I am sending emails directly. Everything seems to work perfectly like this, but when I used the email queue functionality I had some script emails or stuck emails in the database. I imagine that the email queue functionality was introduced with a good purpose, so I am wondering what is the possible downside of not using it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: What is the down side of skipping email queue

I believe email queing was added for performance reasons and to de-couple the email sending logic from the web worker role. Instead of blocking the web request while waiting for the email to be sent, the messages are placed in a queue and sent in batches through cron (which theoretically could be a dedicated server instance). It helps for scalability and provides better separation of concerns. If you prefer to have the emails sent instantly and you don't face any server load issues, I don't see any issues with skipping the email queue, other than that it requires core code changes which should always be avoided. Or is there an option to disable the email queue functionality without editing the code now? (I don't remember)

Sindre M, CEO & Founder
ProperHost.com - The Magento Hosting Experts

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I believe email queing was added for performance reasons and to de-couple the email sending logic from the web worker role. Instead of blocking the web request while waiting for the email to be sent, the messages are placed in a queue and sent in batches through cron (which theoretically could be a dedicated server instance). It helps for scalability and provides better separation of concerns. If you prefer to have the emails sent instantly and you don't face any server load issues, I don't see any issues with skipping the email queue, other than that it requires core code changes which should always be avoided. Or is there an option to disable the email queue functionality without editing the code now? (I don't remember)

Sindre M, CEO & Founder
ProperHost.com - The Magento Hosting Experts

Thanks for the answer. I was thinking kind of the same thing. It is just for optimizing high volume stores. To disable the functionality, you still have to modify/extend core files sadly..

It's not just for performance reasons. Technically I could sabotage the whole store by making a bot that generates thousands of fake orders in order to get site blacklisted by automated spam systems.

Tanel Raja