cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer account information links disappeared from left column

SOLVED

Customer account information links disappeared from left column

Hi everyone!

I have been struggling with my Magento 1.9.2.4 store. Left customer account navigation is missing and I can't get it back. Been searching for hours and hours and can't find the answer, maybe one of you will take a challenge to help me find out what is wrong with my layout.

It seems like there is a problem with my "left" reference (I think) because nothing is being displayed in the left column in any two column left pages. Customer Account Navigation is what worries me the most really need to get this back urgently.

I use boilerplate theme on my store. I had a look in my 2columns-left.phtml file and here are the details:

<?php
/**
* The MIT License (MIT)
* Copyright (c) 2011-2014 Webcomm Pty Ltd
* Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
* of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
* in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
* to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
* copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
* furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
* The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
* all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
* THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
* IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
* FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
* AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
* LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
* OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
* THE SOFTWARE.
*/
?>
<?php
/**
* Template for Mage_Page_Block_Html
*/
?>
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('head') ?>
</head>
<body<?php echo $this->getBodyClass()?' class="'.$this->getBodyClass().'"':'' ?>>

<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('after_body_start') ?>
<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('header') ?>

<div class="container b30 t30">
<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('global_notices') ?>
<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('breadcrumbs') ?>

<div class="row">
<aside class="col-md-3">
<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('left') ?>
<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('breadcrumbs') ?>
</aside>
<div class="col-md-9">

<?php

$yourUrlKey = 'tpd';
$yourUrlKey2 = 'tdp-faq';
$cmsPageUrlKey = Mage::getSingleton('cms/page')->getIdentifier();

if($yourUrlKey == $cmsPageUrlKey || $yourUrlKey2 == $cmsPageUrlKey) { ?>

<div class="three-buttons mB20">
<a class="button green mR20" href="/safety-data/">Safety Data</a> <a class="button green mR20 tpd" href="/tpd/">TOBACCO PRODUCTS DIRECTIVE</a> <a class="button green mR20 faq" href="/tdp-faq/">FAQs</a> <a class="button green" target="_blank" href="https://www.vampirevape.co.uk/new_order_form.xlsx">Download Our Order Form</a>
</div>

<?php } ?>

<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('global_messages') ?>
<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('content') ?>
</div>
</div>
</div>

<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('footer') ?>
<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('before_body_end') ?>
<?php echo $this->getAbsoluteFooter() ?>

</body>
</html>

The <? php echo $this->getChildHtml('left' ) ?> is being called but unfortunately there is nothing being displayed in my 2column-left pages. I have added the breadcrumbs again and they are working in this div.

Like I said it is the customer account navigation that worries me the most so I had a look in the /http/app/design/frontend/base/default/layout customer.xml file and here is the part of it:

<customer_account translate="label">
    <label>Customer My Account (All Pages)</label>
    <!--remove name="catalog.compare.sidebar"/>
    <remove name="sale.reorder.sidebar"/-->
    <!-- Mage_Customer -->
    <reference name="root">
        <action method="setTemplate"><template>page/2columns-left.phtml</template></action>
        <action method="addBodyClass"><class>customer-account</class></action>
    </reference>

<reference name="content">
        <block type="page/html_wrapper" name="my.account.wrapper" translate="label">
            <label>My Account Wrapper</label>
            <action method="setElementClass"><value>my-account</value></action>
        </block>
    </reference>

<reference name="left">
        <block type="customer/account_navigation" name="customer_account_navigation" before="-" template="customer/account/navigation.phtml">
            <action method="addLink" translate="label" module="customer"><name>account</name><path>customer/account/</path><label>Account Dashboard</label></action>
            <action method="addLink" translate="label" module="customer"><name>account_edit</name><path>customer/account/edit/</path><label>Account Information</label></action>
            <action method="addLink" translate="label" module="customer"><name>address_book</name><path>customer/address/</path><label>Address Book</label></action>
        </block>
        <block type="checkout/cart_sidebar" name="cart_sidebar" template="checkout/cart/sidebar.phtml">
            <action method="addItemRender"><type>simple</type><block>checkout/cart_item_renderer</block><template>checkout/cart/sidebar/default.phtml</template></action>
            <action method="addItemRender"><type>grouped</type><block>checkout/cart_item_renderer_grouped</block><template>checkout/cart/sidebar/default.phtml</template></action>
            <action method="addItemRender"><type>configurable</type><block>checkout/cart_item_renderer_configurable</block><template>checkout/cart/sidebar/default.phtml</template></action>
        </block>
        <block type="catalog/product_compare_sidebar" name="catalog.compare.sidebar" template="catalog/product/compare/sidebar.phtml"/>
        <remove name="tags_popular"/>

</reference>
</customer_account>

It look like the navigation is set to be under the left referance but nothing is being displayed in the customer account left column. When I change the < reference name="left" > to < reference name="content" > all the links are being displayed in the main column which makes me think is has something to do with the < reference name="left" > element but I have no idea what that could be.

I would really appreciate all your help!

Kind regards, Greg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Customer account information links disappeared from left column

Hi there!

I have finally found what the problem was. I only took over from someone else and only getting my head around the system.

The problem was, there was a < layout version="1.0"><default><remove name="left"/></default >element in one of the custom modules written by someone. Removing the < remove name="left" />fixed my problem.

Sorry to bother everyone.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Customer account information links disappeared from left column

Hi there!

I have finally found what the problem was. I only took over from someone else and only getting my head around the system.

The problem was, there was a < layout version="1.0"><default><remove name="left"/></default >element in one of the custom modules written by someone. Removing the < remove name="left" />fixed my problem.

Sorry to bother everyone.

Thank you.