cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I conduct an upgrade from Magento v1.4.1.1 to 1.7.0.2 ?

How do I conduct an upgrade from Magento v1.4.1.1 to 1.7.0.2 ?

I'm thinking of upgrading Magento v1.4.1.1 to v1.7.0.2
I have never conducted this kind of operation.
I have read there are two ways of doing it. Using SSH or Magento Back-Office.
I know I can't upgrade directly from v1.4.1.1 to v1.7.0.2.
I might need to pass by v1.4.2.0, v1.5.1.0 and v1.6.2.0
I have read loads of forums articles. None of them explains the
process the same way.

What way is the best to conduct this operation (SSH or by Back-Office) ?
How to conduct this operation via SSH ?
How to conduct this operation via Back-Office ?
How do I specify the name of the new version I want to install, from magento Back-Office (and from SSH) ?
How do customers and admin data bases get updated after core and skin files ?

Thank you very much for your help !

5 REPLIES 5

Re: How do I conduct an upgrade from Magento v1.4.1.1 to 1.7.0.2 ?

Hi,

I would recommend you to use method where you after making backups wil make new magento folder and then transfer your database into new magento default package. Then you will open site url and upgrade will start. Once it done you can copy your template and extensions.

If there will be error in the report file during upgrade then you will needto find out the issue and options to fix it.
Also prior upgrade dont forget to clean magento log dtabase tables.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Could you be more specific ? How do I transfer the old DB content to new magento default package ?

Hello Mate ,

you need to replace library file and core file of magento .

Please take back up before performing any operation in it .

and if you find any issue then disable module from module pool and enable each module one by one to find confliction of module .

let me know if you have any other issue .

Thank You

You will need to upgrade from 1.4.1.1 to 1.4.2.0 before moving on due to the tremendous amount of database restructure. Once you have passed that hurdle, it's easier to upgrade to the last stable version of any major update after that.

Back in the day when I did it, 1.4.1.1 to 1.5.2.0 totally died on the database rework, 1.4.2.0 flew through with very little issue. Also you'll be doing this on a staging server till you get it right, or suffer economic damage while your site's down.

All third party modules, templates and your personal module rewrites will have to work with the final version you choose.

Also, everything works better if you use SSH and move your upgrade as a tarball from your staging server to your live server.

You have quite a bit of work ahead of you.

I see there are some solution to upgrade magento 1.4.1.1 to 1.7.0.2 directly. You can move data to higher version of Magento, even magento 1.9, magento 2.x.