cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento ver. 1.9.2.2 Upgrade to 1.9.3.7 FAILED!!

Magento ver. 1.9.2.2 Upgrade to 1.9.3.7 FAILED!!

Hi guys

I am a self confessed total newbie at doing upgrades, so much so, I've only once tried and failed!

I went to my admin page and Magento Connect Manager and Mage_All_Latest 1.9.3.7 (stable)  I then chose to Upgrade. A black window opened displaying activity and then:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'PDOException' with message 'SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away' in /home/*********/public_html/magento/lib/Zend/Db/Statement/Pdo.php:228 Stack trace: #0 

/home/*********/public_html/magento/lib/Zend/Db/Statement/Pdo.php(228): PDOStatement->execute(Array) #1 /home/*********/public_html/magento/lib/Varien/Db/Statement/Pdo/Mysql.php(110): Zend_Db_Statement_Pdo->_execute(Array) #2 /home/*********/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Zend/Db/Statement.php(291): Varien_Db_Statement_Pdo_Mysql->_execute(Array) #3 /home/*********/public_html/magento/lib/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(480): Zend_Db_Statement->execute(Array) #4 /home/*********/public_html/magento/lib/Zend/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Abstract.php(238): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('SELECT mg_core...', Array) #5 /home/*********/public_html/magento/lib/Varien/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Mysql.php(504): Zend_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Abstract->query('SELECTmg_core...', Array) #6 /home/*********/public_html/magento/lib/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(828): in /home/*********/public_html/magento/lib/Zend/Db/Statement/Pdo.php on line 235
Exception during cache and session cleaning

My website and Admin became inaccessible, from memory it displayed a page similar to 'Site is down for Maintenance'.

I asked my hosting provider to restore my site to a backup  from a day before. They did this but still no joy!! They then informed me:

I have looked through the files, and don't see where it is logging any new errors, so and from what I am able to gather it would appear the site is stuck in maintenance mode, which I have no idea how to switch off. So it's not a code error anymore.

Found the maintenance.flag and removed it.. Site is up now.

/home/*********/public_html/magento/maintenance.flag was present, removed and site loads normally.

I would of course like to upgrade but, as you can imagine I'm worried I might screw up again!!

In Magento Connect Manager - Mage_All_Latest shows the options to Uninstall or Reinstall.

I do have a complete backup of my site.

Any suggestions or advice would be gratefully received. Please remember, I am a newbie Smiley Happy

Regards and Happy New Year

John

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Magento ver. 1.9.2.2 Upgrade to 1.9.3.7 FAILED!!

The error "MySQL server has gone away" is something that you'll get on some hosts with Magento, particularly on cheaper plans or suboptimally configured servers.  It's not a Magento error, it's just a report that when Magento was doing something, potentially some long running MySQL queries during the upgrade, the MySQL server dropped the request and "went away".  I'

You can check a couple of suggestions on this helpful page: https://www.yireo.com/tutorials/magento/magento-administration/1284-mysql-server-has-gone-away

----
If you've found one of my answers useful, please give "Kudos" or "Accept as Solution" as appropriate. Thanks!

Thanks very much for your reply.

I suspect my problem might be with the memory available with my present hosting service 

UK VPS Professional - UK Virtual Private Servers.

At present memory is showing as 99% used with only 27Mb free!

I presently pay $88 each month for my hosting and I have absolutely no idea whether this is competitive or if I should be looking elsewhere.

Status
Bandwidth
1 GB of 5 TB Used / 5 TB Free
0%

Memory
2 GB of 2 GB Used / 27.1 MB Free
99%

Disk
43 GB of 80 GB Used / 37 GB Free
54%

Thanks

It could be that. I'd have thought they would have noticed and recommended you upgrade. Configuration changes to php/MySQL that that article mentions could still help the situation. Might be worth asking them a follow up question about it. 

It's been a while since I used them but Nexcess are pretty well known and I've used them for shared hosting in the past (https://www.nexcess.co.uk/magento/hosting) 

----
If you've found one of my answers useful, please give "Kudos" or "Accept as Solution" as appropriate. Thanks!