cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Magento 1.9.2.4 to 1.9.3 - When & How?

SOLVED

Upgrade Magento 1.9.2.4 to 1.9.3 - When & How?

I've got several separate Magento installations using version 1.9.2.4

I was wondering if I should upgrade to 1.9.3 yet, or wait to see if any problems with 1.9.3 have been ironed out?

And when I do eventually upgrade, what is the best method to do it?

(I would ideally like to use Plesk, which has worked in the past, but I don't think it supports Magento 1 any more...)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Upgrade Magento 1.9.2.4 to 1.9.3 - When & How?

You basicly overwrite your existing files. Be aware that if you have made any custom changes to the core files or used the standard theme that this is not overwritten.

When that said, the most important thing for you is to apply the patch SUPEE-8788 since 1.9.3 contains many bugs and 1.9.3.1 would come hopefully later today or within a couple of days. So then its better for you to upload this version.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

In my option, the best way to upgrade magento 1.9.2 to 1.9.3 is using connect manager.  But keep in mind that when you are trying to upgrade at that time the file which are not same in new version that files are being changed, so your customization you have done in such type of file will be overwritten from that file.

Thanks for replying @Cosnett. Frustratingly Connect Manager isn't aware of any upgrades to any of my Extensions, including Magento 1.9.2.4... don't know why. Any ideas?

The best way to install Magento 1.9.3 is to download the full package and upload it via ftp this way you are sure the permissions are correct and that all new files are copied proparly.

Thanks @ptomter. Can you provide more details about uploading via FTP please?

Should I override my existing installation, or create a new installation and transfer the data across (somehow)?

You basicly overwrite your existing files. Be aware that if you have made any custom changes to the core files or used the standard theme that this is not overwritten.

When that said, the most important thing for you is to apply the patch SUPEE-8788 since 1.9.3 contains many bugs and 1.9.3.1 would come hopefully later today or within a couple of days. So then its better for you to upload this version.

Thanks. I would never dream of changing the core code or adjusting any standard themes. Who would do such a silly thing?! Smiley Happy

I had heard 1.9.3 was a bit buggy - so thanks for confirming. I'll wait until 1.9.3.1 comes out later this week before upgrading.

As I know, it is difficult to upgrade extension. You only update extension manually if this extension is developed to be suitable for higher version of magento. It is influenced on the providers. People can upgrade database.