cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice with multi country set up - Magento 2

Best practice with multi country set up - Magento 2

Hi, I'm opening my store using Magento 2 and looking for some advice as I don't really understand the differences between websites, stores and store views.

It's a single business running on different countries.

URL structure will be:
www.mystore.com/en-us/ - US store
www.mystore.com/en-uk/ - UK store
www.mystore.com/en-au/ - AU store
www.mystore.com/it-it/ - IT store
www.mystore.com - International store (everything but US, UK, AU and IT)

- Inventory is shared across all stores
- Product attributes are different in each country (description, images, price and currency - beware I need to set each price manually, not auto convert through currency converters)
- Tax are different for each country
- Shipping options are the same (we only use one warehouse), but shipping costs and timings are different
- Static page content (images, text) is different
- I don't mind if customer database is global or splitted, but I want to prevent any user to register an account in multiple countries.

If anyone would have any advices on how to configure Magento would be awesome.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Best practice with multi country set up - Magento 2

> I don't really understand the differences between websites, stores and store views.

I'm new to Magento myself. I agree that this "Website(s) - Store(s) -Store View(s)" thing is confusing in the beginning. The best tutorial I found on the web regarding that topic was this one:

https://www.splendid-internet.de/magento-2-handbuch/1-kapitel-websites-stores-storeviews

It contains images that illustrate the   "Website(s) - Store(s) -Store View(s)" thing and how they relate to each other. See topic 1.2 where you'll find 3 images, that helped me much. Also the text is good. It's in German, but an online German to English translation usually works good (while the other way round (English to German) usually sucks). You might give it a try with an online translator of your choice.

Sorry that I can't help with your other questions, since I'm in the learning process myself.

Hey,

As you want to set the price manually per country, you need to create your stores as separate Websites in Magento. That's because the base currency can either be set globally or per website.

As you want to stop people registering in multiple countries I recommend setting Customers to be shared globally. If you want to restrict customers buying from the e.g. Italian site when they're from US you can limit this with countries allowed per website.

Inventory natively with Magento right now is only available globally. so natively it will be shared across all your stores.

Your international store - mystore.com - which currency do you want to use here? What's the purpose of this? Is this to capture all customers that are not from any of the other countries? 

Magento Solution Consultant at Inviqa (formerly Session Digital) - Leading Magento Gold Partner
My own blog - Think Commerce

as inventory global level, is Australian customer see products from USA? this is bcoz of product labelling requirements are different each country basis? well as stocks.