cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMS page size limit?

CMS page size limit?

I've previously uploaded CMS content pages, but when I try to update them, it appears that Magento isn't saving the changes made. One curious thing is that I can delete content and it will save, but if I add additional characters, it will not save.

No error given on page or in console. 

This leads me to believe that I'm hitting some type of size limit. 

The MySQL database column for content in a CMS_page is set to mediumtext, which seems like a major limitation especially for content.

Any thoughts? Am I missing a setting somewhere?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: CMS page size limit?

Hi @kitestop

Can you please check in the var/log directory ? and in that exception.log file ?

Check the error log over there and post over here for the same , so its help us to troubleshoot the issue !

As per my experience i don't think so its related to text size - issue might coming from the special character or if you have installed/configured any other extension related to CMS then it might conflict with that as well.

Hope it helps !

if issue solved,Click Kudos & Accept as Solution

Thank you for the response. There was no entry related to this issue in the exception or error logs.

I did a test, and entered a very long cms page, one content chunk at a time. I was able to get to 11,249 +/- characters before the site would not save the page anymore.

Hi @kitestop

Which magento 2 version are you using ?

Because i have checked on Magento 2.3 and it allowed me to add long content (more than 12000 characters) - i have tried with about us page and its working.

So can you also confirm the same , add more content in about us page and then check ?

Because MEDIUMTEXT data type Holds a string with a maximum length of 16,777,215 characters.

if issue solved,Click Kudos & Accept as Solution

We are using 2.1.13

No change to the behavior by adding additional text to the About Us page.

Additional behavior of note, when I click on "Save and Continue Edit", the "Please Wait" loader comes up, but then redirects to the pages grid, instead of remaining on the edit page.

I've tried using the developer tools in Chrome to monitor activity, but am not seeing anything jumping out like an error or missing file. 

I'm still having this problem. I've also run into the same type of issue when trying to edit a Block. Same behavior, but even less characters.

Still no errors in any logs that I can see... the behavior after saving is to dump me back into the pages or block grid without the "Block/Page has been saved" notification. 

I found a Github post about this topic that ended up being the clue I needed (https://github.com/magento/magento2/issues/2966)

It appears that Apache mod_security was seeing it as a SQL injection and was blocking it. I whitelisted my IP address, and all is well (so far). 

If you admin your own server, this post is helpful in whitelisting your IP (https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/whitelist-an-ip-address-in-modsecurity.456371/#post-1841251)

Otherwise you will need to contact your webhosting provider and have them make the change.

Cheers!