cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explanation for Default stock and Salable Qty

Explanation for Default stock and Salable Qty

We are just starting with Magento having moved from a different shopping cart and are still trying to understand some of the terminology. 

Can someone please explain in simple terms how to interpret default stock and salable quantity and how these interact. I don't understand why e.g. one item shows up with

Qty:  112  - default stock : 97 

another one with

Qty: 22 - default stock blank

and a third one

Qty: 52 - default stock 42

It was probably set up inconsistently but what should be the rules?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Explanation for Default stock and Salable Qty

Hello @tom_michael 

This terms came out after Magento came up with MSI (multi source inventory)

In the product grid we can see two new columns: Quantity per Source and Salable Quantity. Quantity per source represents (as visible in the column) the physical stock at a location. We do not want to change this figure until a shipment has been created. Not when an order is placed, which is the case in previous versions of Magento. Meanwhile, the Salable Quantity is the sum of available resources, grouped in stocks.

It is complicated, but you just only need to know that Magento MSI will sum up the available resources and groups them in stocks. When a new order is placed, the Magento MSI module deducts the quantity from the salable number.

Read full blog for more clearity on this: https://blog.magestore.com/magento-multi-source-inventory-msi/

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
175+ Professional Extensions for M1 & M2
Need a developer?Just visit Contact Us Now

Hi @tom_michael 

Now magento has introduced MSI feature by-default in magento.

In this you can use Multi-source inventory.

First there is a need to understand three terms:-

1.Source:-  You can relate this with warehouses.

As you can have single warehouse or multi-warehouses for your website similarly you can have single source for single warehouse or multi-source for multi warehouses.

For eg. If you are selling products from multi-location like Florida US, California US etc then you will need to create sources for each inventory location.

2.Stock:- It is basically the interface which connects your source to your website.

Main thing here is that you can have multiple stocks for single source but you can't have multiple stocks for single website.

3.Channel:- You can relate it to the website.

Source -> Stock ->Website

Here you can have one to many relationship between source and stock but you have one to one relationship between stock and website.

Then came the terms Qty and Scalable Qty.

Suppose you have a product whose Qty is 10 and customer purchase 2 products from that.

Then your qty still shows 10 but your scalable qty would be 8.

Means your qty get decreases when your product is shipped and invoiced but your scalable qty decreases as soon as you ordered the product from website.

You can refer to this https://www.atwix.com/magento-2/multi-source-inventory-in-magento-2-3/

Here they have  shown one image which clears your all doubts.

If any doubt still left, you can share it with me.

Hope it helps!

Thanks

---
If you've found my answer useful, please give"Kudos" and "Accept as Solution".

Dear Rahul,

thank you very much for your response.  

At this point I think the MSI feature is interesting but not so relevant for us as we synch our stock regularly between the main warehouse that is processing everything and the website. 

I am more interested in your explanation of qty and saleable - in principle that makes sense. Looking at our stock figures in Magento, in most cases that works out ok but on the other hand there are too many items where the difference between the two figures cannot be explained by the sales not yet invoiced. 

We basically use two status :  processing when the order is received and processed when it has been downloaded into our warehouse for completion.  At what stage is the "allocated sales figure" adjusted again ?   In your example when will the Qty match again the saleable qty?  If this is not adjusted regularly maybe when the status changes from processing to processed, do we need to any manual amendments to the Default Stock at some stage? Again in your case when would the stock available go negative or the item show as sold out? We actually synch the stock and this will adjust the Qty upwards whenever new stock is received in the warehouse. If this does not get reflected in the salable qty, that would be a problem.

Hi @tom_michael 

The qty is adjusted as soon as your order is shipped.

For more clarification on this you can check the slide share in below link.

https://www.slideshare.net/maghamed/magento-multisource-inventory-msi

They have explained it in a very simple way.

They have taken many examples in this which are enough to solve your problem.

Still if you stuck somewhere then do let me know.

Thanks

---

Rahul 

Thanks for the explanation of the Default Qty vs Salable Quantity. 
How ? is the Question : How do we manually adjust the Default quantity for  this item:

Default Quantity 10

Actual Quantity 1

We only have 1 Left of an item in the warehouse. -We can therefore not have 10 in the Default.

How do we Adjust the Default Quantity in Magento ?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jin

@Rahul Gupta wrote:

Hi @tom_michael 

The qty is adjusted as soon as your order is shipped.

For more clarification on this you can check the slide share in below link.

https://www.slideshare.net/maghamed/magento-multisource-inventory-msi

They have explained it in a very simple way.

They have taken many examples in this which are enough to solve your problem.

Still if you stuck somewhere then do let me know.

Thanks

---

Dear, We are linked to a stock system, so we have a problem with the salable quantity. every time an order comes in, it is forwarded to the stock system, processed and sent. Only in Magento 2 the order remains on processing after this, so that the salable quantity is not written off but is piled up. As a result, many products are sold out on the website while they are in stock. How can I solve this?

thanks in advance

Dear, We are linked to a stock system, so we have a problem with the salable quantity. every time an order comes in, it is forwarded to the stock system, processed and sent. Only in Magento 2 the order remains on processing after this, so that the salable quantity is not written off but is piled up. As a result, many products are sold out on the website while they are in stock. How can I solve this?

thanks in advance

Hii,

In my case, some products have salable quantity more than the actual quantity. Why this issue is arising. Please help.

This problem is with some products not for all products.