cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Order Edit and Credit Card Authorization

Order Edit and Credit Card Authorization

We're exploring the issue of editing orders but have a conceptual question: If an order is placed and a credit card authorization is issued (we use Stripe), but the capture is not yet done, what happens if the order is edited?

Doesn't the authorization become invalid, so therefore the edit becomes moot anyway?

Or can/does the authorization be/get "renegotiated"?

Thanks.

Thank you,
Mike.
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Order Edit and Credit Card Authorization

Hello @Mike L - SJC,

By default, there is no way to edit orders as described, unlike with the help of our Order Management 100% $199.00 (magento.com).

However, it's still missing reauthorization, which is in the roadmap for 2021.

---------------------------------------------------------

If you find our answer useful, please give 'Kudos' or 'Accept as Solution'.

Does this mean your Order Management extension would let us change the Billing Type, for example, from Net 15 to Credit Card?

It sounded from your answer below that it does. Assuming so, it however sounds like it won't then allow us to get an authorization on a card if we change the type that way?

This wouldn't be a re-authorize use case, this would be an initial authorization if we're holding the customer's card information, and the order hadn't yet been authorized but was switched from the Net 15 type to a (now) credit card and we want to do an initial authorization to a now-finalized-with-the-customer order.

Did that make sense?

Thank you,
Mike.

Thank you for the clarifications.

Then, we've got the following questions:

1. What credit card payment method do you use?
  2. When you mentioned that you’re holding the credit card information, do you mean:

a) The credit card is saved in a customer’s account via secured vault by the payment method itself, or 

b) You have all the card details and you need to enter them manually?

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

We use Stripe to process.

In most cases where we need to create, edit/revise an order and the authorize with a card, we've been given the card number, exp date, and CVC by the customer so we can enter it manually. In a few cases, they've saved it in their Stripe profile with our site, so it can be used from the vault. But mostly, they give it to us to process manually when we've got the final order edited correctly.

Thank you,
Mike.

Hello @Mike L - SJC,

We installed the official Stripe module locally and checked the possibility to switch to Stripe when editing the orders.

Unfortunately, currently, the Stripe method is not available for selection when editing the orders. We will add this compatibility in further updates.

As for the cards saved in the vault, currently, our extension doesn’t allow using the saved cards. This functionality will be added by the middle of 2021.

If you have further questions, we will be happy to assist.

Have you completed the re-authorization capability?

Hi,

Yes, Order Editor (and the Order Management extension) comes with the online reauthorization possibility for PayPal_Braintree payments. (Currently, available via Vault only.)

I stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd drop in my two cents, even though it's been 3 years since the last post. So, let me get this straight. You're wondering what happens if an order is edited after a credit card authorization is issued, but before the capture is done. Well, my dude, I think it depends on how the authorization was set up in the first place. If it's a one-time authorization, then yeah, editing the order might invalidate it. But if it's a recurring authorization, then you might be able to renegotiate the terms. Speaking of renegotiating, have you ever thought about renegotiating your mortgage? If you're in Rotherham, you should hit up a Mortgage Broker in Rotherham. They have some pretty good brokers that can help you out.