cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search Bar Functionality- Magento 2.1

Search Bar Functionality- Magento 2.1

Hi,

I'm wondering how to better utilize the out-of-the-box search bar functionality in Magento 2.1.

Sometimes the results don't make a lot of sense to me in terms of the sorting. If you search "chalk" on our website, it does a great job bringing up anything that has chalk in it's title and description. If you search "aerosol chalk" it brings up a lot of other products first before our product "Ultra Aerosol Chalk" that actually has "aerosol chalk" in the title. 

Now to me, you'd think it'd bring up products that have the searched terms in the title and not products that may have them in the description.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve the search functionality?
1 REPLY 1

Re: Search Bar Functionality- Magento 2.1

Hi @dorzech7

There is one feature introduced in Magento 2 named as 'Weighted Search'. In this, while creating product you cab put search weight there so if attribute has higher weight value then it will have higher priority in seaeching. Suppose you put weight value for title as 10 then if chalk is availble in title, those products will appear first.

For more info check this link: https://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/catalog/search-weighted.html

I hope this will resolve your issue.

if issue solved,Click Kudos & Accept as Solution