cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to edit category images

Unable to edit category images

Hi,

I am in the process of migrating from Magento 1.9 to 2.3.2. I used the Data Migration tool to bring all of my data into 2.3.2. I'm having a weird issue with category images, although I'm not sure it's related to the migration.

When I create new product categories via Catalog > Categories in the admin, I can upload new images in Content > Category Image. However, after I save the category, this field no longer appears! This is also the case with all of the product categories that were migrated from my 1.9 site—I can't replace or remove existing images from any categories.

That being said, Magento does display the category image at the top of the category page on the front-end so at least I know the data is being saved, but I can't edit existing images.

Help!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Unable to edit category images

Hi @derek_fong,

Make sure that you have given full write permission to pub/media folder. 

Execute the following command from the magento root folder. 

sudo chmod -R 0777 pub/media

Category images are stored under "pub/media/catalog/category" folder. You can also check manually category images there that they are exist or not. 

If there are any issue with magento permission then you can reset using follwoing command. 

sudo find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \; && find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \; && chmod u+x bin/magento

sudo chmod -R 0777 var/ pub/ generated/

I hope it will help you!

Hi @derek_fong 

Make sure that you have given full write permission to pub/media folder. 

Category images are stored under "pub/media/catalog/category" folder. You can also check manually category images there that they exist or not. 

If there is an issue with Magento permission then you can reset using the following command. 

sudo find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \; && find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \; && chmod u+x bin/magento

sudo chmod -R 0777 var/ pub/ generated/

Clear the Server and browser cache and Have a look at your website after that.
I hope it will help you!

If Solved Your problem Accept as a Solution 

Give Kudos.

Thanks 

Permissions don't seem to be the problem. As I said, the category images do get uploaded and they appear on the front-end but the field disappears from the category edit form so Magento will not let me change an existing category image. I also have no problem uploading other images, like product images or images on static pages.

Which Magento 2 version you are using?

Are you on latest one 2.3.2?

Yes, I'm using 2.3.2.