cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image handling in the media folder

0 Kudos

Image handling in the media folder

Feature request from tiwarimukesh, posted on GitHub Aug 13, 2016

Following is not a bug it can be considered as an improvement or a feature.

In Magento 1 over long time of use media folder size keep growing and it become too huge.(If there a frequent updates of images).

This happens especially for the website having very large catalog. It becomes difficult to identify the unused images and remove them. As an image can be used for multiple products or on multiple pages.

Is there any road map of any feature which will provide a functionality for optimal handling of images in media folder?

9 Comments
apiuser

Comment from Ctucker9233, posted on GitHub Aug 16, 2016

Is your issue with Magento 1 or Magento 2. This github is only for Magento 2. To answer your question though, it seems Magento 2 has self cleaning behavior. Any time a product is deleted or any single image is removed, the image(s) is/are removed from the media folder.

apiuser

Comment from tiwarimukesh, posted on GitHub Aug 17, 2016

Hi @Ctucker9233 My question is related to Magento 2. If your answer mean to say that when we import new images to products, previously used images are removed from media folder then I think you can close this ticket. I will try to check if it happens on local system.(I have not tried it yet.)

apiuser

Comment from Ctucker9233, posted on GitHub Aug 20, 2016

@tiwarimukesh I have noticed the self-cleaning behavior when I go into a specific product in the catalog, delete the images i don't want (using the little trashcan symbol) and then loading the ones I want. It may not be exactly the same for importing products with images.

apiuser

Comment from tiwarimukesh, posted on GitHub Aug 23, 2016

@Ctucker9233 Yes, I tried in my local set up what you mentioned is correct. I will check for the importing product with images.

apiuser

Comment from tiwarimukesh, posted on GitHub Sep 08, 2016

@Ctucker9233 I tried the image import using the import functionality of Magento. It assign a new image to the product but keep the original image intact (Original image is not deleted) in admin as well as on \pub\media\catalog\product\w\t location.

Tested on : Magento 2.0.0 csv format used >> "sku","base_image" "WT09-XS-Purple","wt09-white_back-test.jpg"

apiuser

Comment from Ctucker9233, posted on GitHub Sep 24, 2016

@tiwarimukesh Interesting! Thanks for investigating that.

apiuser

Comment from veloraven, posted on GitHub Nov 07, 2016

@tiwarimukesh thank you for your submission. We recently made some changes to the way we process GitHub submissions to more quickly identify and respond to core code issues. Feature Requests and Improvements should now be submitted to the new Magento 2 Feature Requests and Improvements forum (see details here).

apiuser

Comment from tiwarimukesh, posted on GitHub Nov 07, 2016

Hi @veloraven

I am aware of feature request section of the Magento forums. I know most of the feature requests has been already moved to the Community forums Magento 2 Feature Requests and Improvements section. If this topic also qualify for the new feature request then your team can move it to Forums.

Otherwise if you suggest I can my self post this to the Magento 2 Feature Requests and Improvements section of forums.

sn_heukels
Regular Visitor

Is there an update on this issue?