cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeout/Connection lost issues

Timeout/Connection lost issues

We're having several issues with a site we just launched. The first couple of days it seemed okay, but today when users tried to create a new account the /customer/account/createpost/ page ended up with a "connection lost" error. I flushed the cache and it's working now but very slow creating accounts. I'm also receiving a timeout error from Authorize.net which is: "Your script timed out while we were trying to post transaction results to it." The sale still goes through and the order is created correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

CE 2.0.7

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Timeout/Connection lost issues

Hi Mike,

looks like you are overloading the server. Did you check server load when you see those issues? Maybe it's running out of memory? are you on shared, cloud or dedicated hosting? If you do not have ssh access to the server, ask your host to check the load and memory usage. If you are on VPS or Cloud server, the easiest fix to try is to add more vCPUs and memory until you figure out something else. 

are you using Varnish cache? I would not run Magento 2 without it. huge difference in speed and server load with and without Varnish.

hope this helps.

Anton Pachkine @ magento2.hosting : Magento Small Business Package.

Thank you for the reply. I'm on a shared server, Apache, 2 processors, 16 GB RAM. I am not running Varnish. I tried to run it but my menu disappears. I'm really not sure where the load and memory should be. This is what I came up with:

top - 13:35:30 up 45 days, 15:26,  3 users,  load average: 2.80, 2.02, 1.88

Tasks: 506 total,   1 running, 504 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie

Cpu(s):  7.0%us,  2.1%sy,  0.1%ni, 89.2%id,  1.1%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.5%st

Mem:  32749036k total, 32174048k used,   574988k free,   795152k buffers

Swap:  2064380k total,   292996k used,  1771384k free,  6716588k cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND            

12127 site_usr  20   0 13400 1360  764 R  8.6  0.0   0:00.11 top                

28839 mysql     20   0 23.3g  18g 6684 S  3.5 58.3   8312:23 mysqld 

I'm still running 2.0.7 because when the site updated to 2.0.9, it crashed. 

Thanks again,

Mike

server load seems to be ok. not how i would want to see it on a product server but will not slow you down much.

maybe see if your host allows setting PHP 7 for your domain. It should be faster than php 5 but you will not get Magento 2 working fast without properly configured Varnish. at least I do not know any other ways. 

check this out: https://gtmetrix.com/reports/demo.finestshops.com/sZN5PaD0

As you are on a shared server, do you have any sort of resource limits (like CPU and Memory) for your particular account? 

Not that I'm aware of. This was more of a development server, basic, least expensive package available. I'm planning on moving it to another server/platform but I'm really not sure what the best option would be. This is my first Magento project and I'm kinda lost. I just updated from 2.0.7 to 2.1.1 earlier today. I'm sure my configuration could be better and guarantee the code in my module is not the best.... trying to get away from MS and .net.

Thanks!

Mike

Hi Mike,

The best option is to use Magento optimized server from a host who specializes in Magento. You'll save yourself a lot of headake and avoid many problems this way. 

We host our clients with Rackspace Cloud but we build each server from scratch for each store moved to us and custom optimize it for a each setup. There are many less expensive hosts with pre-built Magento Cloud or VPS servers.