cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

re-indexing magento

SOLVED

re-indexing magento

Hi there,

since my 2 last posts did not received any action, I'm not sure if this forum is still active. So I neither know, if I'll get any response ever! Anyway, I try: After my magento (Ver: 2.2.2) installation on a life server went through without any problems, I'm confronted with another one: It gives me the error messages, saying: "One or more indexers are invalid. Make sure your Magento cron job is running." Even I already activated the cron job for my account (Cron <user> magento cron:run [--group="<cron group name>"]) ! I've already looked for advices in the net, but most of them are only for localhost users or for ssh - users. At the moment I'm with ehost.com, and I already tried to apply the command (indexer:reindex) in filezilla. I went to the /bin/magento file, highlighted and tried to add a command. Anyway, it did not work! Does anyone know, where I can find the command line, mentionend in many tutorials for applying the reindex command? Why is it so complicated to get magento running? Wouldn't it be even wise to add a button inside the dashboard from where you can reindex the site just with one click, instead of looking for complicated solutions?

best regards!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: re-indexing magento

The full path depends on your server, some of them being "/public_html/magentodirectory/bin/magento" while others being "/home/username/public_html/magentodirectory/bin/magento". 

The file permissions also depend on your server where some servers work fine with 755 for directories and 644 for files while some servers will need less secure permissions for certain files.

Your hosting provider should be able to help with these questions.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Hi @Alemantico,

I am not a developer but understand your frustrations here. 

Is it possible for you to get SSH access to your server? That way you will be able to run the commands via your CLI (command-line interface).

I found this on the ehost support website: http://support.ehost.com/articles/specialized-help/how-to-use-ssh

Other than that you can go to System > Index Management and check indexers status within the admin. Then select the items that are marked as "Reindex required" and go to Actions > Update on schedule. These indexers will be reindexed recurrently (default once / day).

However, in order for "Update by Schedule" to work ok, your cron jobs need to be running correctly on your server. You may need your hosting or development partner to help you with the configuration.

Unfortunately, sometimes not all indexers are reindexed using admin reindex. This is why it's recommended to double check the reindex process using the SSH/CLI.

Hope this helps, 

Rebecca 

Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!
Follow me on twitter:@RebeccaBrocton | wearejh.com

As Rebecca stated, you need to make sure that your Cron Job is setup properly and confirm that they are running. You may want to check with your hosting provider to see if it's running.

As for the "command", you should run it with SSH. You need to contact your hosting provider to obtain SSH Access.

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you very much for your response Smiley Happy After I followed the setup you provided per link, I tried to connect to the bin/magento. It didn't work out, so I contacted my server provider. They said: "Thank you. I would suggest you to check with Magento, and ask them how to correct it and also tell them we do not have root access via SSH and ask if there any alternative?." just few minutes, they said: "I have checked with our senior admins, this is the issue with the Magento regarding the reindexing. This is not working for many of the customers in any of the Linux servers.". So I need to change the server, in order to use magento or is there a way around?

Very best regards from Austria Smiley Wink !

What error are you seeing? 

Reindexing is a very normal command that works with any hosting service without the need for root access (to repeat, you do not need root access) unless the server is too underpowered to handle it? 

It sounds like your hosting provider isn't too familiar with Magento so they are giving you with wrong advice. 

one more thing they said:"this is the issue with Magento and it is giving the same error with all the Linux servers. Magento are trying to give an update on this soon." Well, hope so into the next future Smiley Frustrated

Wow, thank you for the very quick reply!

That's the current situation I'm facing with:

"php austrialandscapes.org/shop/bin/magento indexer:reindex
Could not open input file: austrialandscapes.org/shop/bin/magento
"

best regards!

Can you try using the direct path instead of using the domain? Also make sure that your file permissions are set correctly.

nothing has changed than! The same problem Smiley Sad:

alemanti@alemanticodesign.com [~/austrialandscapes.org]# php shop/bin/magento indexer:reindex
Could not open input file: shop/bin/magento

Try executing the command directly within the Magento directory. 

If it still doesn't work, try using the full path instead.