cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the minimum changes needed to the luna theme to make a single product website?

What are the minimum changes needed to the luna theme to make a single product website?

If I can complete these steps, I think i will understand enough to be able to adapt it further to my needs. The site i'm working with has literally 1 product with no config options. 

To see what I'm after, install a site with the sample luna data and theme. There you'll see the top menu has Women | Men | Gear etc. Drill down to Women | Tops | Jackets and click the first Sellar Solar Jacket. Assume that's the single product, so in the back end delete every other one.

1. I want to remove every top menu entry from, and including "Women", and add "Stellar Solar Jacket".

2. When you click that top menu entry, i want to go directly to the full page for that product, i.e. no intermediate product grid like we just saw in the default.

Any pointers greatly appreciated, thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: What are the minimum changes needed to the luna theme to make a single product website?

My first question would be why on earth you're using Magento for this one product website. 

But in answer to your question, I would recommend not installing the magento sample data. You don't need it and then there's no need to delete products and category.

Magento's navigation out of the box will show only categories. So you'll need to override that template in your own theme to just link to the exactly that product URL. 

----
If you've found one of my answers useful, please give "Kudos" or "Accept as Solution" as appropriate. Thanks!

Re: What are the minimum changes needed to the luna theme to make a single product website?

A few reasons - it won't always be 1 product and that product will have variations in the future, the payment integration works out of the box, the workflow process for orders and invoices is excellent and again pretty much turnkey etc.

I actually wasn't suggesting you create a production site by hacking luna and the sample data. I was describing the effect required.

Anyway, your last sentence is what I wanted to know - but the details of that actually! In particular linking the top menu directly to the details of the product - which file do I change in my template? Thanks.

This is the file that usually outputs the category navigation menu https://github.com/magento/magento2/blob/9c14af7a97bcf338662de365d2613c7ca9dbf8c6/app/code/Magento/T...

----
If you've found one of my answers useful, please give "Kudos" or "Accept as Solution" as appropriate. Thanks!