cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing SKU numbers by CSV import

Changing SKU numbers by CSV import

Maybe I am missing something obvious but is there anyway to change Sku numbers in magento 2 by CSV import? My previous site on Xcart we exported and imported by the primary key "product ID" .  This made changing a SKU very easy. I have not found one tutorial that addresses this topic. I want to know the best way to approach this problem, do I need  to directly manipulate the database through SQl everytime I need to change some SKU numbers in bulk? That seems ridiclous to me. We are a fastener company with tons of products and categories the need to change a vendors part numbers does come up time to time. Is the best way to change the import and export functions? Maybe an extension that has this ability? Any advice would be helpful, Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Changing SKU numbers by CSV import

I think you should make import module. it works as:

1. Admin interface to upload CSV file(Exported from Xcart) and submit button.

2. Import will change SKU numbers by Product ID.

There are lots of things that can be modified via Import/Export, however product SKU is not one of them. Since there is no default possibility to do this and you have mentioned that you are interested in the extension, you can check Store Manager for Magento application.

To update SKU you can use ID as unique identifier during import. Here is an article with video to check how it works in action -
https://www.mag-manager.com/useful-articles/how-to/how-to-bulk-update-magento-product-skus/

There are 3 editions of the application for businesses of different sizes, and you can download free 2-week fully-functional version from the link in my signature to check how it works.

Store Manager for Magento 1.x and 2.x - inventory management tool to automatically update products, customers, orders, and other data across multiple sales channels and suppliers.

Thanks, This is what I expected, I already purchased an attribute uploader and modified it to fit our needs. I guess I will be modifying the product import functionality. As great as this software is, there are still some pretty basic functions that it just doesn't have. I guess its left out to get the community involved. I will post a solution on Github when im done.

any update about this?

Hello,

You can not update via import. If you want to change sku then you need to update using SQL into catalog_product_entity table.

Problem solved? Click Kudos & Accept as Solution!
Sunil Patel
Magento 2 Certified Professional Developer & Frontend Developer