cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A technical problem occured when trying to drag categories

A technical problem occured when trying to drag categories

Hi, I created some categories such as "gifts", "school items" at the top level, along side the empty "default category".   I saw a post which said I should be able to drag my categories onto the default category (although I am not sure why anyone would want to do this).  Anyway I tried this and it said "this may take a long time" followed by "A technical problem occurred..." I cant read the rest of the message as it only flashes up for a few seconds.  The category doesnt get moved.

IS this normal?  Is there any log file or similar to find out what went wrong?

FYI, This is a brand new install. I have one category, one product, and no pages.

Magento was installed by my ISP.  

3 REPLIES 3

Re: A technical problem occured when trying to drag categories

@codename1  Should be normal depends on what you did and how you did. You must be able to see an error message either in browser console window or in exception.log or system.log under "var/log" folder exist in root directory of your Magento.

Problem solved? Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

- Tarandeep
Problem solved?Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

Hello @codename1 ,

The category move is an expensive event.
It triggers the reindexing of url rewrites and category product association (and maybe others).
You should put the indexes on 'manual' instead of "update on save", move your categories around and reindex everything when you are done.
I'm not sure that truncating core_url_rewrite table will solve your problem.
It may solve it for your first category move, but you will end up with a lot of rewrites again.

--
If my answer is useful, please Accept as Solution & give Kudos

FYI, my hosting provider tried to fix this, they could not so I have given up and switched to woocommerce. You can mark this issue as closed. Thanks for your time.