cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento 2.1.8 - Problem Attempting to update sku attribute via import

SOLVED

Magento 2.1.8 - Problem Attempting to update sku attribute via import

Hi,

I am trying to update a selection of products using the System>Data Transfer>Import function whereby I am looking to make changes to the attribute field for the products in question.

However I am experiencing a problem when I attempt to do this.

The import file check is passed and I receive the message to indicate that the import has been applied successfully, however when I then go to check the changes have applied on the back end I find that none of my imported changes have taken effect.

Has anybody else experienced this and found a solution?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Magento 2.1.8 - Problem Attempting to update sku attribute via import

Hi @Crazee,

The attribute set can't be changed (using Magento out-of-the-box).

Thant's becasue there is a relation between than value and which attributes are associated with the product.

If you change the attribute set you should remove all the not neccesary attributes and values and then add the new ones.

I guess there are 3rd-party modules that maybe can allow you to do that but normally, th ebest solution is to delete the products and create new ones.

That will be the better (and clean) way.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Crazee,

At least something has changed lately (I guess not) the SKU can't be changed using the import becuase the SKU is the key field used for update and delete values.

If you try to import a new SKU the platform won't be able to know which SKU you're trying to update so it will insert a new one.

Hi Damian,

Thanks for your reply!

I think my terminology was misleading in my original post so let me add some clarity. I am not looking to modify the SKU itself, what I am trying to do is modify the value held against the "attribute_set_code" for each SKU in my import.

From what I have been able to find on the forums / internet I think that this may not be possible?

Hi @Crazee,

The attribute set can't be changed (using Magento out-of-the-box).

Thant's becasue there is a relation between than value and which attributes are associated with the product.

If you change the attribute set you should remove all the not neccesary attributes and values and then add the new ones.

I guess there are 3rd-party modules that maybe can allow you to do that but normally, th ebest solution is to delete the products and create new ones.

That will be the better (and clean) way.

Thanks for your help, I thought that may have been the case!

I was confused though as to why I could amend the attribute_set when editing products in the Products>Catalog function as I would have expected to have the same problem when trying to use that method as I have when trying to bulk import changes.