cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to upgrade 2.3.5-p1 to 2.4.0 (php incompatability)

Unable to upgrade 2.3.5-p1 to 2.4.0 (php incompatability)

When I started the upgrade to Magento 2.4.0 running php7.3 things seemed to be working will until I can across a PHP parsing error when running setup:upgrade

Unable to apply data patch Magento\Customer\Setup\Patch\Data\UpdateDefaultCustomerGroupInConfig for module Magento_Customer. Original exception message: Warning: preg_match(): Compilation failed: unrecognized character follows \ at offset 28 in /var/www/magento/src/vendor/magento/framework/Api/AbstractSimpleObjectBuilder.php on line 72

Additional research lead me to believe that I needed to upgrade to php7.4. After doing so, I can no longer upgrade at all and composer is no longer functional. At first I received the error:

Could not find a Magento project package matching "magento/product-enterprise-edition 2.4.0" for PHP version 7.4.8

Update of composer.json with Magento Commerce 2.4.0 changes failed, reverting ./composer.json to its original content from before the Magento root update.
Magento root updates cannot run without a valid target package

[InvalidArgumentException]
  Could not find a matching version of package magento/product-enterprise-edition. Check the package spelling, your version constraint and that the package is available in a stability which matches your m
  inimum-stability (stable).

And now I get:

$ composer show magento/product-enterprise-edition 2.4.* --all | grep -m 1 versions

Package magento/product-enterprise-edition not found

Why has Magento become so much more fragile over the last year? Every time I go to upgrade there are just more and more problems.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Unable to upgrade 2.3.5-p1 to 2.4.0 (php incompatability)

Hi @dustin_metcalf 

Kindly refer below link for your issue:
https://github.com/Codeception/Codeception/issues/3316

It may help you!

Issue resolved? Please click on Kudos & Accept as Solution!

Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!

That link didn't solve my issue. Seems they are having a similar solution in another project.

At this point I'm to where if I'm running php73 I get:

$ composer require magento/product-enterprise-edition=2.4.0 --no-update
Could not find a Magento project package matching "magento/product-enterprise-edition 2.4.0" for PHP version 7.3.11

Update of composer.json with Magento Commerce 2.4.0 changes failed, reverting ./composer.json to its original content from before the Magento root update.

Could not find a matching version of package magento/product-enterprise-edition. Check the package spelling, your version constraint and that the package is available in a stability which matches your m

If I upgrade to php74, I get:

$ composer require magento/product-enterprise-edition=2.4.0 --no-update
Could not find a Magento project package matching "magento/product-enterprise-edition 2.4.0" for PHP version 7.4.8

I suppose if I can get this working, than maybe the original issue will resolve itself.

After much fighting I was able to get things working, but I'm still getting the following error with a lot of pages.

Exception #0 (Exception): Warning: preg_match(): Compilation failed: unrecognized character follows \ at offset 28 in /var/www/magento/src/vendor/magento/framework/Api/AbstractSimpleObjectBuilder.php on line 72

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Hi there,

Hope you've already found a fix - if not, there is a commit for this file I just spotted as I also had the same problem after trying to upgrade from 2.3.6 to 2.4.0.

https://github.com/magento/magento2/commit/e9343d9d719007b60ad7b0e4a3a99aa8df586cf4