cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

timing to upgrade all extensions to magento 2.3

timing to upgrade all extensions to magento 2.3

Hi everyone, 

my company decided to upgrade our Magento to the latest 2.3 with all extensions. My developers told me that it takes 2 weeks. Is it possible that takes so long?

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: timing to upgrade all extensions to magento 2.3

Hi Sara,

There are some missing factors, such as what your current Magento version is, and how many extensions you're using. Factors like these can impact the labor to upgrade your site.

However, keep in mind that 2 weeks is not typically for straight, continuous development time. First the developers need to wrap up whatever else they're working on. Then they'll typically upgrade your site in a local or development environment. They'll update extensions as well. Then there's a testing phase, and potentially work to address code conflicts and errors that may (or may not) pop up. Then, they'll roll the changes out to a staging copy of your site, which mimics the real live hosting environment of your site for further testing. Often, you'll be asked to test the site, and further adjustment could be needed, before they ultimately schedule to push the updates out to your live "production" copy of the site. 

While they're waiting for your feedback and approval, they'll typically switch to working on something else (rather than just sit waiting), and they'll often finish whatever that task was before coming back to address your feedback from testing. Sort of like a doctor that goes to check on another patient while waiting a nurse to administer tests on you.

Different developers can have different flows, but long story short, 2 weeks is not an unreasonable expectation to be set for a thorough, well-executed process. From my perspective, it could certainly wrap up faster depending on a variety of factors, but service industry professionals rarely quote the minimum time. If they do, it's all that people hear, and it doesn't do a good job of managing expectations, which simply leads to unhappy business relationships.

I hope this feedback is helpful, and that your Magento upgrade goes quickly and smoothly! 

The time for migration depends on the version of your cart you are using and the number of entities. Pls give me the exact figure so that i can estimate the time for you.

Hi Robert, 

Thanks for your feedback, it really help. At the moment we have Magento 2.2. The problem actually is not really the timing but also the cost as they asked $1350. I just thought that update Magento could be quickly, something to do in few days., but apparently not. Thanks for your clarification.

@matthew_nguyen wrote:

The time for migration depends on the version of your cart you are using and the number of entities. Pls give me the exact figure so that i can estimate the time for you.

current Magento version is 2.2 and they ask me $1350. Is it too much?

Hi Sara,

The price depends on the # of extensions you have, overall scope of work, and the rates your developers charge. In general, it sounds reasonable to me. If this is a dev team with a good reputation and they've otherwise been taking good care of you, it may not be worth your time and effort to look for other options.

On the other hand, now may be a good time to get a competing quote or two to see if there's an agency that might have better rates or other advantages for your business. I'd equate it to hiring a general contractor. You can have 3 contractors estimate upgrading your kitchen in the same style, and you can get 3 different estimates and timelines. You may not choose the fastest, or the cheapest. There are lots of factors for choosing a good agency.

As an example, if this dev team's employees are all in the USA (which I doubt is the case with your devs based on the price they quoted you - I'd actually expect an estimate to be higher in that case), their labor costs may be higher than a team in a country like India, where wages are not currently as high. This is just a random example to illustrate that if you're seeking a less expensive vendor for the long-term, you may very well be able to find one.

If you ever want to chat about options, feel free to reach out. I've been a part of the Magento community for a long time and would be happy to share insights and connections.

If you do look at other dev teams, here are a couple of quick reads that you may find helpful:

https://jetrails.com/blog/the-journey-to-choosing-magento-developers/

https://jetrails.com/blog/14-questions-to-ask-before-hiring-a-magento-agency/

Best of luck!

@Robert Rand wrote:

Hi Sara,

The price depends on the # of extensions you have, overall scope of work, and the rates your developers charge. In general, it sounds reasonable to me. If this is a dev team with a good reputation and they've otherwise been taking good care of you, it may not be worth your time and effort to look for other options.

On the other hand, now may be a good time to get a competing quote or two to see if there's an agency that might have better rates or other advantages for your business. I'd equate it to hiring a general contractor. You can have 3 contractors estimate upgrading your kitchen in the same style, and you can get 3 different estimates and timelines. You may not choose the fastest, or the cheapest. There are lots of factors for choosing a good agency.

As an example, if this dev team's employees are all in the USA (which I doubt is the case with your devs based on the price they quoted you - I'd actually expect an estimate to be higher in that case), their labor costs may be higher than a team in a country like India, where wages are not currently as high. This is just a random example to illustrate that if you're seeking a less expensive vendor for the long-term, you may very well be able to find one.

If you ever want to chat about options, feel free to reach out. I've been a part of the Magento community for a long time and would be happy to share insights and connections.

If you do look at other dev teams, here are a couple of quick reads that you may find helpful:

https://jetrails.com/blog/the-journey-to-choosing-magento-developers/

https://jetrails.com/blog/14-questions-to-ask-before-hiring-a-magento-agency/

Best of luck!

Thanks a lot, just wanted to have an idea if the price was ok or not because I thought that update Magento version was something very quick to do but apparently is not.

Yes they are a a dev company in india.