cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, I'm New to Magento

SOLVED

Hello, I'm New to Magento

Hello, 

I am so happy to be part of this community.

• I'm from Trinidad, in the Caribbean.
  • I am employed as a teacher, I also do web design as a hobby. Plus...I love graphic design, photography, videography and I am an artisan sourdough baker as wellSmiley Happy 
  • I only recently started working with Magento because I am building a store for a client and decided to use this platform instead of WP.
  • I realize that there is a "learning curve" with Magento. I need help to figure out how to do certain things. For example, I have to create a page similar to this: "example page" when a customer clicks on a product from the main product page. The aim is to give the customer i) options to customize and ii) to select related add-ons for the original product. *I am actually building a store similar to the one in the example with similar products.Robot wink
  • I hope to learn a lot from you all.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hello, I'm New to Magento

Hi! 

Welcome to the forums!

To add to the helpful suggestions already made, I'd recommend taking a look at some of the advanced product types. While you could use a Simple Product, and add Customizable Options, you could also use the:

Grouped Product type: This will allow you to list multiple products on one page that can be purchased together or separately with one click of the "add to cart" button. This can be effective for selling furniture for instance, where a shopper might one 1 coffee table, 2 end tables, and 1 sofa, and 2 recliners. Grouped products are also great for items that come with sub-parts and addons. https://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/catalog/product-create-grouped.html

Bundled Product type: This will allow you to create kits or bundles that are purchased together, and can include options for the shopper to choose between. This can work well when you want the shopper to select a cabinet by selecting from options of handles, doors, etc. in order to purchase a collection of items that work together. It's often done with computers, where a shopper might order a certain amount of RAM, a particular HardDrive, extras like mice, and so on. https://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/catalog/product-create-bundle.html

One of the main differences is that with Customizable Options, you're offering options that may have a SKU and Price, but you can't manage inventory for these items, and there are some other limitations, such as when it comes to adding weights for shipping. Customizable Options are great for options like offering an extended warranty, adding a logo or monogram to a product, or even offering gift wrapping for a product, but they can be more difficult to use for selling additional inventoried physical items.

PS - I have to ask...what's the secret to the great sourdough?

Cheers!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hello @dixbyron ,

Welcome to the community forums.

This community forums is a very good platform to ask the questions and try to help others.

You can also start diving into the http://devdocs.magento.com/

You can get an idea about the already reported/existing issue from Github: https://github.com/magento/magento2/issues

Also, you should read this post: https://community.magento.com/t5/Welcome-to-the-Magento-Community/Start-here-and-hello-from-me/m-p/5... (in particular the guidelines)

If you're new to our forums, welcome! Take a look around, introduce yourselfcheck out our guidelines, and be sure to reach out to me or any of our awesome moderators if you have any questions.

You can ask also question to Magento Community Manager @sherrie if you have still issue.

As you are also a magento developer so you can always share your thoughts on this platform and yes definitely you can get help from existing community members as well

Looking forward to your contribution on this forum

--
If my answer is useful, please Accept as Solution & give Kudos

Hello @dixbyron 

Welcome to the magento community forum.

Glad to know that you have selected Magento as a platform for your client store.

Regarding customizable options - I have seen the link you have shared and i would say it can be achieve in Magento as well.

You will require to utilize Customization Options of Product pages.

From the backend when you edit the product form you will see customization option from that you can add certain customization and along with its price, so once customer select those custom options based on your product price gets changed.

Hope it helps !

if issue solved,Click Kudos & Accept as Solution

Hi! 

Welcome to the forums!

To add to the helpful suggestions already made, I'd recommend taking a look at some of the advanced product types. While you could use a Simple Product, and add Customizable Options, you could also use the:

Grouped Product type: This will allow you to list multiple products on one page that can be purchased together or separately with one click of the "add to cart" button. This can be effective for selling furniture for instance, where a shopper might one 1 coffee table, 2 end tables, and 1 sofa, and 2 recliners. Grouped products are also great for items that come with sub-parts and addons. https://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/catalog/product-create-grouped.html

Bundled Product type: This will allow you to create kits or bundles that are purchased together, and can include options for the shopper to choose between. This can work well when you want the shopper to select a cabinet by selecting from options of handles, doors, etc. in order to purchase a collection of items that work together. It's often done with computers, where a shopper might order a certain amount of RAM, a particular HardDrive, extras like mice, and so on. https://docs.magento.com/m2/ce/user_guide/catalog/product-create-bundle.html

One of the main differences is that with Customizable Options, you're offering options that may have a SKU and Price, but you can't manage inventory for these items, and there are some other limitations, such as when it comes to adding weights for shipping. Customizable Options are great for options like offering an extended warranty, adding a logo or monogram to a product, or even offering gift wrapping for a product, but they can be more difficult to use for selling additional inventoried physical items.

PS - I have to ask...what's the secret to the great sourdough?

Cheers!

Thank you for your quick response and advice.  

My pleasure!

Hello @Robert Rand,

I want to thank you for your detailed advice and guidance. I really appreciate your detailed explanations. 

I feel a bit more confident to proceed with the build.

Re, "the secret to the great sourdough"...one must use fresh, natural ingredients, don't rush the process and put lots of love into it Man Very Happy

Always happy to help. 

I like your sourdough advice. I'm certainly a better cook than baker. 

If you follow your baking advice for working on Magento, I think you'll do just fine. 

In essence, use high-quality ingredients, from code and extensions to hosting and content, don't rush the process, and put lots of love into it. That, and be sure to taste test before serving a new recipe to others. There are also features, like error logs, that can help you identify technical issues with your "bake" that you'll want to address.

Best of luck!