cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing the tax rates

SOLVED

changing the tax rates

Hello Everyone,

my name is Kiki and I am new hereSmiley Happy I am trying to change the tax percentage in the back end of my website and unfortunately it does not appear to be possible. Does anyone have any insight? I am using a very old version of Magento: Magento ver. 1.9.3.1

Thank you,

Kiki

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: changing the tax rates

Hi @kristine_kaschube ,

Can you please check to edit your tax calculation percentage on below location:

Step 1 − Login to Magento Admin Panel.

Step 2 − Go to Sales menu → Tax and click on the Manage Tax Zones & Rates option.

Step 3 - Under the Manage Tax Rates window, Edit the existing Tax Rate Rule and edit the percentage.

For more information, please follow below link:

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/magento/magento_setup_taxes.htm#:~:text=Set%20Up%20Tax%20Rates&text=S...

Thanks!

Problem Solved! Click Kudos & Accept as Solution!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi @kristine_kaschube 

Kindly refer below link for your issue:
https://magento.stackexchange.com/questions/48399/magento-taxes-are-not-working

If issue resolve, please click on 'kudos' & Accepted as Solution!

Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!

Hi Bhanu,

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, I need to change the percentage of tax charged and I do not see where I can do this in the backend. I operate out of Germany and the law here requires vendors to reduce our taxes from 19% to 16%. I assumed that I could do this very easily in the backend but I cannot seem to access where the change can be made. 

Do you have any additional insight?

Hi @kristine_kaschube ,

Can you please check to edit your tax calculation percentage on below location:

Step 1 − Login to Magento Admin Panel.

Step 2 − Go to Sales menu → Tax and click on the Manage Tax Zones & Rates option.

Step 3 - Under the Manage Tax Rates window, Edit the existing Tax Rate Rule and edit the percentage.

For more information, please follow below link:

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/magento/magento_setup_taxes.htm#:~:text=Set%20Up%20Tax%20Rates&text=S...

Thanks!

Problem Solved! Click Kudos & Accept as Solution!

Hi Kiki! It's great to have you here! I understand that you're facing some difficulties in changing the tax percentage on your website's backend, which is using an older version of Magento (Magento ver. 1.9.3.1). While I don't have the exact solution tailored to your specific website setup, I can provide you with some general steps to help you change the tax rates in Magento 1.9.3.1. Here's what you can try:

1. First, log in to your Magento admin panel.
  2. Look for the "Sales" menu and select "Tax" from the dropdown options.
  3. Within the "Manage Tax Zones & Rates" section, you'll find an option called "Import/Export Tax Rates." Click on it.
  4. To be safe, export the existing tax rates by following the instructions provided. This way, you'll have a backup in case anything goes wrong.
  5. Open the exported file using a program like Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets. It will help you make changes more easily.
  6. Modify the tax rates in the file according to your needs. You can adjust the percentage or add/delete tax rates as necessary.
  7. Save the changes you made in the file.
  8. Returning to your Magento admin panel, locate the "Import Tax Rates" section and click on the "Choose File" button.
  9. Select the modified file from your computer and click the "Import" button to initiate the import process.
  10. Magento will handle the import and show you a success message once it's done.
  11. To ensure everything works smoothly, go to the "System" menu and select "Cache Management." Click on the "Flush Magento Cache" button to clear the cache.
  12. To verify that the tax rates have been updated correctly, you can test a transaction or check the tax calculation on a product page.

See Also :

https://pagibigmp2calculator.net/how-to-easily-file-a-pag-ibig-death-benefit-claim/

Remember, it's always a good idea to create a backup of your website before making any changes. This way, you can restore it if something unexpected happens. If you encounter any issues or have specific requirements, I recommend consulting the official Magento documentation or reaching out to the Magento community or a developer who is familiar with Magento 1.9.3.1. They can provide more tailored guidance and assistance.

"Welcome, Kiki! 😊 Changing tax percentages in older Magento versions can be tricky. You might find this VAT calculator helpful for quick calculations: https://calculatethevat.com/ While it won't solve the backend issue, it could make managing your finances smoother. Are any Magento experts around to assist Kiki with her tax quest?

Hi Kiki,

I understand you are using Magento 1.9.3.1 and are trying to change the tax percentage in the backend without success.

Since Magento 1.9 is a very old version, the options for modifying tax rates are limited compared to newer versions. However, there are a couple things you can try:

• Navigate to System > Configuration > Sales > Tax and edit the tax rates shown there. This allows you to change the default tax rate.
  • If your store has multiple tax rules already configured, you will need to edit each rule individually to update the rates. Go to Sales > Tax > Manage Tax Zones and Rates and edit the percentage value for each rule.
  • As a workaround, you may be able to create a new tax rule with the desired rate and assign it to the products/customer groups you want to change.

If neither of those options work in your 1.9 site, the only other way would be custom code changes to override the tax rates. I would recommend upgrading to a newer version of Magento where tax rate adjustments are much simpler.

Let me know if this helps point you in the right direction!