cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New product list on right column of two column static page

SOLVED

New product list on right column of two column static page

Hi All,

I've been trying to add a block with a short list of new products on the right column of a two column home page using the RWD theme on Magento 1.9.2.3.

If I go to the page layout XML, I see a section for the right hand column that currently shows recently viewed and compared products:

<reference name="right">
        <action method="insert"><alias>right.reports.product.viewed</alias></action>
        <action method="insert"><alias>right.reports.product.compared</alias></action>
    </reference>-->

I tried adding a product block in this section similar to the following:

<block type="catalog/product_new" name="home.catalog.product.new" alias="product_new" template="catalog/product/new.phtml" after="cms_page">
<action method="addPriceBlockType"><type>bundle</type><block>bundle/catalog_product_price</block><template>bundle/catalog/product/price.phtml</template></action>
<action method="setColumnCount"><columns>1</columns></action>
<action method="setProductsCount"><count>5</count></action> 
</block>

But it would not display anything.  I also have a feeling this is more geared towards main column display with big thumbnails.

Is there a product.report type that will display new products in a neat little list like the recently viewed and compared products?  That's what I really want.   The main column is taken up with a static intro and a big list of categories, so I really want to show the new products on the right hand column.

Thank you,

-Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: New product list on right column of two column static page

Hey captainharlock,

You can use widget for this issue.
Go to Admin Panel -> CMS -> Widgets -> Button "Add New Widget Instance"
Field "Type" = "Catalog New Products List"

1.jpg

2.jpg

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hey captainharlock,

You can use widget for this issue.
Go to Admin Panel -> CMS -> Widgets -> Button "Add New Widget Instance"
Field "Type" = "Catalog New Products List"

1.jpg

2.jpg

Thanks that did the trick.  Do you know where I could possibly customize the templates available in the Layout Updates area?    I want the photos and text version, but I want to mess with it.  

Thank you,

-Mike