cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Font inheritance to a Subtheme

Font inheritance to a Subtheme

How do you add a custom font to a theme so that it will be inherited by child themes?

I work on a M2.3.3 instance that has multiple sites. All these sites will have the same basic look but just in different languages. We have purchased a theme and have created a subtheme in which all sites will inherit.

• purchased_theme (parent theme Luma)
    • common_subtheme (parent purchased_theme)
      • site_1_theme (parent common_subtheme)
      • site_2_theme (parent common_subtheme)
      • etc.

How can I add a custom font to common_subtheme so it is available to all site themes?

I actually want to know the same for assets like images.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Font inheritance to a Subtheme

Hello @guerinteedmike 

If you are try to build a theme using the Magento UI library, declare the font by adding the .lib-font-face mixin to the
app/design/frontend/<vendor_name>/<theme_name>/web/css/source/_typography.less file:

.lib-font-face(
    @family-name:'<any_font_name>',
    @font-path: '@{baseDir}fonts/<path_to_font_file>',
    @font-weight: <font_weight>,
    @font-style: <font_style>
    @font-display: <auto|block|fallback|option|swap>
);

@{baseDir} stands for the app/design/frontend/<vendor_name>/<theme_name>/web directory.

The mixin generates the CSS, which includes the font.

You must edit the app/code/Magento/Theme/view/frontend/layout/default_head_blocks.xml file to declare your fonts; otherwise, Magento is not able to create the static/web/fonts/ directory. See app/code/Magento/Theme/view/frontend/layout/default_head_blocks.xml.

@font-display: swap is declared by default for Magento Blank theme in app/design/frontend/Magento/blank/web/css/source/_typography.less.

Fallback web fonts that are used by default in Magento are located in lib/web/css/source/lib/variables/_typography.less.

You can also override them by adding a file with the same name in the relevant location according to the fallback schemes.

After these steps fonts of parent theme can be use for child theme as well.

Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!